First building tips. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default First building tips.

I will be building my first tower soon and I would like some tips on my build. I want something that will last a while and I will be able to play games on it. I know I have to go heavy on the motherboard because you want a good one so if you upgrade anything it will be able to handle it. I know that the graphics card is a low priority until I want to upgrade (then if I do I can buy a good graphics card.) I would like some tips (if you have any) about building my first computer. I am looking at a cheap-ish build that will last decently long, I can play games on it at decent frame rates, and I can upgrade it if I want to. Also, if you have a build of your own you would like to share please do. Ty

cad411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: First building tips.

That's backwards. If you want to game you want the most money in your GPU for the best FPS, and you want a quality PSU so IT lasts multiple builds.

Need a budget for this build and what games you want to play.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm looking at a range of 700 to a MAX of 950 (if necessary). I want to be able to play bf4, chivalry, and maybe diablo 4 whenever it comes out (I hope). It really doesn't matter what game I play. Most games these days have high levels of graphics and demand a lot of power to play. So something that can get me around the gaming community.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Gotcha. I'll build you up a rig when the police scanners go quiet.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I can't get anything that is able to play games decently then I give up because after that point it would be too expensive.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad411 View Post
If I can't get anything that is able to play games decently then I give up because after that point it would be too expensive.
950 will build a respectable rig. Sorry for not replying with a build, as I'm usually on it within minutes. I'm just concentrating on the police scanners in Boston for info on the attack.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330 - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Red Heat Spreader) Model TDRD38G1600HC9DC01

GPU:
EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 650 SS-650AM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Case:
GIGABYTE GZ-F3HEB Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Optical:
LITE-ON Model iHAS124-04 DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

$900

The 660ti and i5 combo will max almost all games minus a select few. It will be able to play BF3 maxed and BF4 maxed or almost maxed.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok take your time. FYI I really don't have any money saved up towards this build as of now :P. I am looking to get numbers before I start. So take your time.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad411 View Post
Ok take your time. FYI I really don't have any money saved up towards this build as of now :P. I am looking to get numbers before I start. So take your time.
Well since that's the case, make another thread when you do have the money. Prices and availability change constantly. To confirm 950 will make a good gaming rig.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What do you think about buying in steps? For example, every pay check or so I buy a different part for the build until I have every part.