First build, would like your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risensun

Baseband Member
Im attempting my first build and I could use all the suggestions I can get. This tower will be used entirely for gaming, im looking for the best performance/dollar ratio, reliability, and upgrade-ability. Also Ill be playing at 1680x1050 and Xp Home OS
Budget is $1100 USD

From what I have read the q6600 processor is they way to go with this price range, but im open to suggestions, additionally I will probably oc it a little later on so the included HSF probably wont do the job, right? Also I found a case I like.

Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
($193)

Mobo:

Thermal Paste:
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

HSF:

RAM:

Videocard: HD4850
(~$200)

HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
($70)

DVD-RW:

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
($95)

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Power Supplies
($100)

Prices are after rebate, tax, and shipping.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

Wow iv been out of the loop for a while, that HD4850 is very impressive, at least judging form the reviews I read and what I read on these forums.

I would like to be able to crossfire these for a future upgrade, wondering if that PSU you suggested is up for it.

Thanks again for your help.

Yep the 550vx should handle 2x 4850's, you could always get a 620hx or a higher Corsair model.

Change the motherboard to the P45 version of the biostar? (Don't go on this yet I'm not sure if I'm correct) or get a ASUS Rampage.

P45 runs x8 as well in crossfire.
EDIT*
id also go with the 650tx if you plan on crossfire. just to be on the safe side. im sure the 550vx will handle it, i had 2 x 8800gts 512 in SLI and it did it no sweat. i dont know how much power the 4850's use. the 650tx has 52A on a single rail and that is massive versus the 550vx's 41A...which is still massive lol.

P45 runs x8 as well in crossfire.

Yup you need to get a x38 or x48 board. The Asus Rampage formula has gotten great reviews and its still ddr2 ram. But some reason the price has gone back up, it was 249.00 know its at 299.00

The rampage formula is going to quickly go out of his price range. For 1680x1050 resolution just get a single 4870 and a good p45 motherboard. You dont need to bother with crossfire until you get into 24" monitors and higher.

So probably a Corsair 650tx to be on the safe side, I have a lot of gadgets in addition to a lot of HDDs.

I would like to have the option to crossfire later on when I do upgrade my monitor. So it seems I require a x38/x48 board, can anyone recommend a specific one?

also with these HS4850's heat seems to be a big problem with some of them, was wondering if anyone had a specific one they could recommend.

As for ram, I have no idea, $300 seems to be a lot, will it really make the difference or is it money better spend els ware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom