First build, unsure if all my parts are compatible

Shayev13

Beta member
CPU-
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
Motherboard-
MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-G55 SLI
Memory-
Crucial Technology 16GB (2x8GB) Ballistix Elite Series 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 PC3-14900 Memory Module Kit
Storage-
Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (CT512MX100SSD1) +
WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
Video Card-
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC20C-4GD5 Graphics Cards STRIX-GTX970-DC20C-4GD5
Case-
IN WIN GRone White 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PSU- RAIDMAX Vampire RX-900GH Continuous 900 watts ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular PFC Power Supply Intel Haswell Platform Ready

I would also like to know everyone's thoughts on the build and any general tips for a first build would be very appreciated. :)

I would change the board to an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 and swap the SSD to a Samsung EVO.

And that PSU absolutely has to go. Get this instead.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

I understand the motherboard because I don't really know what to look for in a motherboard other then the obvious stuff like # of usbs and ect but why the PSU and SSD? I'm asking to add to my knowledge, not to question your knowledge. And if it's because of the high amount of wattage in the PSU, my reasoning for that was just for future upgrades sake and I plan on using dual monitors.

The motherboard was because of the M.2 slot. The SSD because if you're spending the cash might as well get a better quality one. Both the MX100 and EVO are budget SSDs but the EVO is better quality, whether you go with the 840 EVO or 850 EVO.

The PSU, Raidmax makes junk. I would go as far as saying they paid somebody off to put that 80+ Gold cert sticker on the box. As per my thread, the #1 piece you want to put money into quality gear is the PSU.

Very good to know, thanks for that. How many extra fans do you reconmended to add to the 5 that come with the case? I'm nervous about the cooling.

That's more than enough. At that rate, unless you absolutely need a full tower I'd reconsider. There really is no practical use in a full tower unless you're going with a full custom water cooling loop.

Good to know, the full tower is just so I know I have room to expand in the future or for any future upgrades I may wany do. I'll do some more research on it though.

Back
Top Bottom