I need a new computer and decided to build it myself for the first time.
It's supposed to be just a general desktop, plus:
- I want to be able to run VMWare or other virtualization programs comfortably, Linux as the host OS and Windows and maybe others as guests. (I'm newb at this but hope to learn )
- It should compile code fast.
- Should be Linux compatible.
- As to the graphics, I'm not a gamer but some light gaming won't hurt. Also it should play videos comfortably.
Overclocking - maybe in the future when I learn how to do it.
give me your opinion on the parts I've picked so far:
: Core 2 Quad Q6600
: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120 or other? Which one is easier to install?
: Gigabyte P35 DS3L
: don't know (2x2GB I guess)
: I thought about 8600GT as I've read it has low power requirements. What do you think?
: I've heard it's good to have two hard drives for running virtual machines especially with Raptor as a boot drive but it's a rather expensive solution. Do you think, it's worth it? Should I go with:
- Raptor + a second 7200 drive ?
- two 7200 ?
- one 7200 ?
: don't know, please suggest one
: Corsair 450VX or 520HX or other?
: I'd like the system to be silent so I thought about Antec P182. Is it worth the price? And has it room enough for that Xigmatek heatsink or even TRUE 120?
Another option: CM Centurion 532, or CM 690. Which one is better and are they roomy enough? Any other quiet cases?
Please suggest some good and cheap keyboard for a touch-typer and a good mouse for X11 (3 buttons with a wheel, I guess).
I can't buy from newegg but feel free to post links, as I can get the specs from there and the idea of the price.
Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks!