First build, i'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnael

Solid State Member
Greetings

I'm thinking about building my first pc, my budget is £300 to £400 (negotiable) and I would like to get a good enough spec for music production with a digital audio workstation, such as Cubase or Pro Tools, whilst still being suitable for everyday things.

Factors

The PC isn't for gaming, so graphics are only important to the extent of video and possibly supporting dual monitors.
People say different things about AMD and Intel processors, AMD could give me a cheaper build but i've heard on the grapevine that AMD's compatability issues with audio software can be a problem.
I would like it to be future proof, so I am thinking about quad core (graphics can always be upgraded later.)

I'd be really grateful if you could help out with build or component suggestions - you are the experts.

Dnael

Well one thing you want in a motherboard is to make sure you can upgrade as best you can for the future -- which is tenuous at best.

The number of RAM slots may be something you should consider.

As for quad core Intel is the way to go because they have such great offerings and it certainly will be looking to the future (and, no, I don't worship at the altar of Intel; I am not a fanboi). Keep in mind that the majority of software isn't even coded for dual core cpus.

Perhaps you want to get a motherboard that can handle a both quad core and dual core but purchase a dual core at first. it will certainly save you cash.

I've used both amd and intel as DAW's. They're both good. At this moment I would get a quad core. You could save some money and get a phenom quad. I take it your also using XP os. Running in rewire it'll def take advantage of the multiple cores. A few members here are from the U.K hopefully they can help you out w/ pricing and stores.

Great, I think I will go AMD, purely for the facet of the price to performance relationship when compared with Intel. Now i'll do more research and make a draft of my build.

Great, I think I will go AMD, purely for the facet of the price to performance relationship when compared with Intel. Now i'll do more research and make a draft of my build.
AMD is not anywhere on top of the price/performance.....
they have high clock speeds, but intel does more things per clock,
the Intel 2.66ghz e6750 is faster than the AMD 3.2ghz 6400+ to give you an idea

Well what sound card are you going to get?

I got the xfi xtrememusic and it works great with music production software like FL Studio because of the ASIO technology used by creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom