First Build Going With Sandy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
im going to be building my first pc i decided to wait for sandy bridge and now its here so time to get serious..im looking for opinions on my build based off what i need it for ask as many questions as you want

i would like to spend between 1500-1600 usd of course less would be ideal

i will be using the computer for basic photoshop and video editing along with basic pc and internet tasks,bittorrent download and all types of multimedia stuff..i will not be overclocking atleast for awhile i wont be so no matter what processor i get i might want to get the k version just to leave my options open

this is what im looking at right now

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor w/Speakers & HDMI

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

so the things that i keep going back and forth on

do i really need the i7-2600K or can i get away with the i5-2500k and be good for years to come

i know new ssds are coming out but really cant wait so do i go with the one i have above or this one OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ram do i stick with 4gb or will i notice any realistic benefit to 8gb

power supply good choice?

video card go better or good enough for my use?

i have some other questions but will leave that till after i start getting a few answers on this stuff

all opinions will be greatly appreciated

Build all looks good.

I'd go with the 2600k but thats me. I highly doub you'll miss out with onkly 4Gig of ram.

The psu is supurb... They make Corsairs.

GPU is up to you. Its a mid range quality card.

Might want to get a large storage drive too... 640 is large AND great for your programs, but You'll fill it fast.

thanks for opinion so far

as i said im looking at getting this case LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62

but i want better quality fans plus ones with no leds so i want to replace them right away i would like to get 3 120mm fans to replace the 140mm fans just cause the 120's are more widely available more out there more options

i was told to get this so i can do that Bitspower Low Profile 140mm To 120mm Fan Adapter - Black (BP-FA140120-BK) - FrozenCPU.com

now how exactly does this kind of adapter work do i connect it to the fan or do i connect it to the fan holes in the case..is this the right adapter for what i want to do cause i saw others while searching

one more thing im also debating getting this side panel to add more cooling..if i add these fans should i make them exhaust or intake? Lancool SECC Side Panel with Dual 140mm Holes - Lancool PC-K56/K58/K60/K62 Chassis Products Model: W-KM2AB-4 [W-KM2AB-4] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

besides answering these questions i still would love to hear more opinions about my original post thanks alot all

sorry about so many questions but as i said first build so want to make sure i got everything covered

so now after reading some posts on various forums im thinking maybe of going with the i5 2500 or k version do you think this will be adequate i wont be gaming i will be doing basic photo editing basic video encoding and converting

also since im not gaming and will just really be doing the above and other basic tasks i think im going to go with a downgrade on video card also i was looking at this

Newegg.com - HIS IceQ H567Q1GD Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

The only difference between the 2500k and the 2600k is mostly hyper-threading....which you probably would want considering how you will be using your PC. If you were mostly just gaming I'd say go with the 2500k and save $100, but it might be worth it to you.

As for your motherboard, you could save $55 and get the Asus Pro version which is basically the same as what you have selected except it doesn't come with the USB 3.0 drive bay and has just one nic card. They both still include 3 PCIe 2.0 slots and both do include 2 PCI slots for legacy support (if you need it).

first of great choice for a build. lol I actually posted to get 2nd opinions on my build that contains many of the same components.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/my-first-performance-build-will-work-you-tell-me-241074/

I really can't speak on most of your build. I actually went with ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 for the MOBO. It has most of the same feature minus a few minute one. and I also Opted for the 8gb ram. so almost a mirror image.

Anyways the 2500(k) vs 2600k

I looked these up pretty pretty in-depth and I'm in no way a tech guy, but genereally here's what I found.
would be better if gaming is your main usage. Has been OC'ed @4ghz and more, but lacks HT, Which doesn't make or break it, but it's something to think about,

2600(k) From what I've read most aticles seem to say it would be the better all around processor of the two, but you would only notice the extra horse power when multi tasking. So if Gaming if your main usage you might want to skip on the 2600k and get a better GPU.

As far as video editing/encoding I heard the 2600k is the way to go. I think I read they actually have a gpu in them, as crazy as that sounds, so they will be better at editing. If someone know what that's about please elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom