First Build Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daltin

Beta member
This is my first time building a PC, though I have been in there plenty of times with memory, cards, power supplies, etc... Here is what I am planning on, only thing I am not sure of is power supply requirement/cooling needs:

- MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
- (2X) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail
- ASUS EN9600GT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
- Silverstone FP35B USB 2.0 Card Reader with extra silver front panel - Retail
- SAMSUNG 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model TS-H653N - OEM
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

I am using this box for general software dev with 1 - 3 virtual machines, video editing and a little gaming. I wanted the memory to support the virtual machines and I can expand it as needed (mobo max of 24gb). I like to have a lot of memory since that seems to be one way to help an older machine continue to perform well. Would like to have this box useable for more than 3 years if possible.

- What kind of cooling do I need?
- Will the 3 memory modules operate in triple chanel if I install only 1 (the fourth) in the other bank, or with the one just slow everything down? (it is cheaper per to get two sets of 2gb that one set of 3)

Thanks for the help!

i would replace ur mb with this:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

u need to get memory that is tripple channel, it comes in 3,6,and 12 gb increments.

answer to your question, no it if u jsut put 3 regular dual channel sticks in it wouldnt run in triple channel, u need to get tri channel memory like said above.
i would also get 1600, not 1333
these are pretty good:
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

get home premium,not ultimate, its useless spending the xtra money on it.

this will be more then enough to power ur rig:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

get this cpu heatsink:
Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme Premium Heatpipe Cooler (Socket 1366) Products Model: ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366 [ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

you will also need to pick out a case,

some good cheap cases are:
antec 300
cooler master 590

mid range:
antec 900
cooler master 690

full tower:
antec 1200
cooler master haf

It will run in triple channel as long as 3 sticks are the same, they don't have to be a matched pair, but it has to be only 3 or 6 sticks

the intel smackover board can run triple channel with 4 sticks, all others require 3 or 6

Stalin90,
I am a little confused by your reply.

First the board is MSI not EVGA. I chose the MSI cause it looked a little more solid than the BIOSTAR.

Second, according to the Read First posts on this forum, there is no such thing as triple/dual memory modules, it is entirely dependent upon the mobo. Am I wrong, or did I misunderstand?

Third, I actually need Ultimate cause I need to install SQL Server (not express).

Another question:
If I wanted to expand to three monitors (card already has 2) can I disable the SLI so I could add a second card?

Thanks Again!

sorry mis read, but still the biostar is one of the best, possibly the best x58 board its its priced very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom