First Build Ever
This is my first time building a PC, though I have been in there plenty of times with memory, cards, power supplies, etc... Here is what I am planning on, only thing I am not sure of is power supply requirement/cooling needs:
- MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
- (2X) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail
- ASUS EN9600GT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
- Silverstone FP35B USB 2.0 Card Reader with extra silver front panel - Retail
- SAMSUNG 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model TS-H653N - OEM
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
I am using this box for general software dev with 1 - 3 virtual machines, video editing and a little gaming. I wanted the memory to support the virtual machines and I can expand it as needed (mobo max of 24gb). I like to have a lot of memory since that seems to be one way to help an older machine continue to perform well. Would like to have this box useable for more than 3 years if possible.
- What kind of cooling do I need?
- Will the 3 memory modules operate in triple chanel if I install only 1 (the fourth) in the other bank, or with the one just slow everything down? (it is cheaper per to get two sets of 2gb that one set of 3)
Thanks for the help!