First build, check my parts? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default First build, check my parts?

I'm planning on building my first computer in a few days and I just need to figure out the parts. I have most of it planned, my only problem is that I'm not entirely sure if all of the parts are compatible. I was going to get (I only have 500 dollars to spend at the very max):

An Intel i5 2400 Processor Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor: Electronics

An ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard

An ASUS XONAR_DG Soundcard ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG: Electronics

A Cooler Master Elite 430 Case

An EVGA GT 520 Graphics Card (I already have this in my possession)

An 800 Watt Power Supply

And 2 x 4gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9: Electronics

Is there anything wrong with this build? Any parts I should swap out due to uselessness or incompatability? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VillainousVolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: First build, check my parts?

What games are you wanting to play and how well do you want them to be played?
Are you planning on maxing out Crysis on 1080p? You'll definitely want a more powerful graphics card then.
Are you planning on playing some Source games and some indie games? You'd probably be fine with that graphics card.
Also, for gaming, you don't need more than 4GB of RAM as far as I know, and the sound card wouldn't be needed unless you were making music on your computer as well.

Originally Posted by RichM499 View Post
I agree. You should see the Phenom III x12 I am beta testing. It's running @ 6.2ghz. It literally sends so much information to the ram that Smurfs jump out and punch me in the face.
Yerfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll
Default Re: First build, check my parts?

at your budget level, there is no need for a sound card. the mb has sound built in and is fine.

if you get that power supply, you are really asking for trouble. i would recommend getting a corsair, antec, or seasonic power supply, between 5 and 600 watts.

if you want to do any real or modern gaming with that video card, you will probably be disappointed.

if your budget could handle it, you should spend about $30 more and get the i5-2500k cpu.

do you need an OS windows 7 64 bit?
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote