First build ~$2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhendri55

Beta member
I'm trying to build one for mostly gaming and some school.
This is what I have finally decided on:
150GB raptor
2x1GB Super Talent DDR2 800
Core 2 E6700
PCP&C 750W PSU
EVGA 8800GTS
EVGA 680i motherboard
LIAN LI ATX mid tower
I have a good mouse and keyboard, am planning to use my 17" CRT and am going to try and salvage an optical drive.
I want to be able to overclock and also to do sli in the future. I'm thinking my psu is maybe overkill? The price-tag is $2028; please let me know if this is a sound build.

Agreed with Maroon. Although it's not necessary to go with the GTX, because the GTS still kicks a**. But if you have the money, then go for it. Awesome system by the way.

The PSU is overkill IMO. Even with an 8800gtx. I would say 650 would be good enough.

also make sure you get a zalman or big typhoon CPU cooler. Even a GPU cooler and some aftermarket case fans would be good. Stock fans always suck.

Also I suggest getting a half decent sound card.

This one right here is cheap yet decent

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103

Or cant go wrong with a 50 bucks sound blaster for games like Battlefield

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102011

most people see timings that are like those super talent. Yet they fail to look at the voltage. It's alreadyn set at 2.2 which is max in my mobo and a few others. My G.Skill when ran at 400mhz and at 2.2v can be OC'd to 4-4-3-8 easilly. Yet i choose to keep a 1:1 ratiop therefore its run at 4-4-4-12 at 440mhz. I've even had it at 5-5-5-15 at 540mhz LOL. So Bottom line is find cheap ram with the lowest timinngs and voltage.

a 5-5-5-12 stick of g.skill at 1.8v is the same if not better than 4-4-4-12 xms at 2.0v. Just slighly overclocked

I would net even consider sli 8800's, by the time you need it there will be a single card for the same price that would kill the older sli setup.

core 2 duo e6600 would be a lot better. only big jump from e6600 is the e6800 because it has an unlocked multiplier.

Ya get some g skill ram. Overclocks really well.

Now because you wont need to really do SLI, I would justg get a 600w or 650w power supply and a good soundcard along with going from gts to gtx.

Zalman cpu cooler and some better case fans for more airflow and your in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom