First Build in 10yrs, Will it Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaoulDuke

Solid State Member
I haven't spent time inside a computer case since before they broke the 1GHz barrier and dual-cores weren't even an idea yet. My Vostro 200 is getting tired and I decided to build my own, but I'm not sure if my on-paper build is viable.

The idea is a fairly cheap (<$1000) build that can play not too demanding games (TF2, L4D2, WoW) be fairly easy to upgrade, and possibly overclock. This is what I've got so far:

CPU:AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W
Mobo:ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM (PC3 12800)
GPU:MSI GeForce GTX460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HD:Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU:CORSAIR 750W 80+ Certified, SLI/XFire Ready
Case:NZXT Guardian 921 ATX Mid Tower
Optical Drive: ...Suggestions?

Total so far comes to $864.92 (not counting rebates or shipping).

Thank you for the insights, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. It seems like the motherboards that are SLI ready rely on Nvidia chipsets, which was one of the deciding factors I based my decision on. Also, I've heard that there isn't a very noticeable difference between x16 and x8 PCI express when using SLI; however, one of the boards you linked is x4, I assume that would be noticeable.

I am trying to avoid the DIY kits, my last two computers were a Gateway and a Dell and I'm feeling an itch to completely customize my next rig instead of having to accept whatever shows up in the box.

Guess I'm going to have to keep surfing Newegg with Google in another tab, I'm noticing that they leave out a lot of details in the details section of their items.

The DIY kits on NewEgg as basically big combos, not prebuilts like Dell or Gateway. The components all come in their original packaging, not assembled. The main plus to them is that, if you find one that has what you want, you can save a nice wad... enough to maybe buy something extra to go in/with your new rig. I have seen people save enough using NewEgg combos to buy a new monitor along with their components.

You should be able to just about max most games actually with that.

i pretty much have the same specs, i can play pretty much anything maxxed @ 1920x1080. Havent played crysis tho, didnt really care for it. I want to go SLi now for 3dmark11 though. :) Your CPU will need good cooling if you plan to OC it. These chips take alot of volts in my experience.

It will work, but Nvidia chipsets are not what they used to be at all.
I'm still grappling over whether its worth going over to ATi because of this. Considering that I don't usually run graphic intensive games perhaps its worth giving up SLI capabilities for a more... stable? chipset.

Also stuggling a little with my GPU choice.
I chose an Nvidia GPU because I've always used them and, although ATi's offering for a similar price outperforms it in almost every way, it does not have vertex pipelines/operations. I can't seem to find out how important these pipes/ops are so I figured its better to have and not need than vice versa.

P.S. Not sure what I was thinking but it seems like a 750w PSU might be overkill for this machine even with overclocking, more ram, and a second GPU.

That card is a beast!, still a little confused about Vertex Shaders though. Maybe the site I've been using for comparisons is wrong about ATi cards not having them, or perhaps they just aren't that important. The only information I've found that seems useful is a little over my head.
I guess if it isn't hurting the millions of ATi card users out there then they can't be that essential.

So even if a board isn't SLI ready/certified, but it is for Crossfire, it won't hinder dual Nvidia cards? (example) I know you're not suggesting I get something like that then... "modify" the drivers :angel:

No, if it is a crossfire board then it is for dual ati cards. I'm just saying you don't need to buy a board from Nvidia for it to be SLI ready. You want crossfire now though anyway since you're going to get that 5850, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom