Finished my first build. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Finished my first build.

I will put picks up when I get in from work and have the OS and new monitor.

I have a few questions that we could not totally figure out.

Thanks again for all the input on the build.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: Finished my first build.

Ask the questions now, so they can be answered quicker Unless they need pics of course.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Well pictures would kind of help me show what I am talking about. I do not know what all of the wires are called and such. Ill give it a try though.

The mother board came with two long pieces of wire that have lots of little wires in a row. I use to see them in older PCs but never saw in the guides we where looking at that said anything about them.

We also installed the graphics card and got the powe plugged into the power supply and then the graphics card had another really small wire that it said was for the sound if you used HDMI sound or something. It plugged in right beside the power on the graphics card. Could not figure out where it went on the mother board though.

I think other then that we have most of it done. We plugged it into the power last night but did not turn it on. This made an LED light on the motherboard come on so that made it look right but that was the only light that came on
Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzo385 View Post
The mother board came with two long pieces of wire that have lots of little wires in a row. I use to see them in older PCs but never saw in the guides we where looking at that said anything about them.
Sorry, you're right about needing pictures :P

Quote:
We also installed the graphics card and got the powe plugged into the power supply and then the graphics card had another really small wire that it said was for the sound if you used HDMI sound or something. It plugged in right beside the power on the graphics card. Could not figure out where it went on the mother board though.
You won't need that unless you're using the HDMI connection for your monitor/TV, and want to play sound through the monitor/tv speakers.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok, I will get pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Will probably have some more questions tonight about installig the Vista 64 bit tonight, have never did that from step 1 before.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

The OS installation is pretty straightforward, step by step process. I'm glad to hear you have everything put together already! Hurry up with those pics so we can help you out!

Yeah, that small cable is for digital audio SPDIF and the motherboard or sound card should have a place where this plugs into. Check your motherboard manual for an SPDIF slot. It is usually a tiny black pin slot.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzo385 View Post
Those are most likely your ide cables. You do not need them unless you have and ide harddrives or cd drives.

It probaly looks something like this.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

That is the cables. That is what I figured they where. Had a thought in my head that the SATA ports and wires replaced it lol. Glad I did not have to use them because they would have been WAY to short because the case is huge.

Oh and it is not my comp, I showed my build to my friend and he went and bought all of the parts! I just basically put it together for him lol. Was nice practice for when I get all of the $ for mine though.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Nice. Give us a buzz if you have any more questions whilst finishing it up.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Hey guys, I just got back from store and have vista and monitor. I plugged in monitor with white cable first and wouldnt pick up any signal. So I tried the blue cable with the adapter that looks like the end of the white cord but it still is not picking up any signal. I have lights on on my motherboard and graphics card and all of my fans are running. Just can not seem to get a signal from the graphics card to the monitor.

Help plz?

Have been reading the guides and it says that the motherboard should make a beep when it first boots up. It is not making the beep.

Closed Thread