Finally have the funds to start my build!

MalignantBC

Baseband Member
So I am finally able to start building my PC. I don't know too much about it but thats how I am planning on learning more. I have a case and I'm planning on look at motherboards. Where should I start? I am completely new to this.

I don't know the name of the case. It's one my friend is giving me so I can get a name for it later. My budget starting now is $800. I can add more down the road if needed so. I want it for gaming. I want to be able to duel screen. (plan is to have game on one screen and whatever else I want on the second.)

oh wow! thanks!

Just curious,I would like a pretty fast computer. Would you recommend putting alittle more money into it? Or would I be able to get the results that I need from what you provided?

Last edited:
any more money you can add can be put into a better gpu for gaming. a lot more money and you can upgrade the gpu and psu. even more upgrade the cpu.

oh wow! thanks!

Just curious,I would like a pretty fast computer. Would you recommend putting alittle more money into it? Or would I be able to get the results that I need from what you provided?

Depends on what results you're looking for.

I would upgrade 2 things really. The GPU, and get an SSD. That required at least 200 extra.

i would ditch the HDD and put that money towards a SSD, get a 128gig SSD for your OS and about 6 games, and put everything else, videos, music and pictures on an external hard drive. and dont get a 660, the lowest end card i would get would be a 660ti. but honestly, i would get a 7950 over a 660ti these days. AMD last few drivers for the 79xx series cards really have matured the cards into powerhouse cards! and you can get a 7950 for about $280-$300.

Also, ditch the optical drive, thats $20 wasted dollars on old tech. i havent used a optical drive in like 3 years.

i see that you live in GA, do you live near a microcenter? ive found that buying from micro center is cheaper than newegg, WAY cheaper. if you buy a mobo and a cpu together at the same time you get a $50 bundle discount. that will let you upgreade to a 3570k and a z77 chipset motherboard.

Last edited:
If he got an external, he would be paying that HDD price anyways so with that same money could have the 1TB and SSD at the same time going over his budget :|
Not very good logic there.

Recommending a 7950 coming from the guy who was saying going to Nvidia was such a big difference and better experience. Their drivers aren't going to magically make the card that much more powerful. It's still a better choice to go as you can have a 660ti for cheaper.

If he got an external, he would be paying that HDD price anyways so with that same money could have the 1TB and SSD at the same time going over his budget :|
Not very good logic there.

Recommending a 7950 coming from the guy who was saying going to Nvidia was such a big difference and better experience. Their drivers aren't going to magically make the card that much more powerful. It's still a better choice to go as you can have a 660ti for cheaper.

Yea but he could get an external hard drive later on down the road when they go on sale and get a 3tb for $90, while enjoying a larger SSD in his new rig. also with an external hard drive you have the luxury of being able to take it with you anyhwere you go. worth its weight in gold if you ask me.

At the time, switching from my 6970s to a 680 was a huge difference, and i still think it was the right move. However, yes, new drivers are going to magically turn the 79xx series cards into a better cards, better optimizations, better implementations of the processor for new games, quality drivers can absolutely turn what was a mediocre card into a phenomenal card. i would get a 7950 over a 660ti or even a 670 and a 7970 over a 680 today. You cant ignore the new benchmarks that are coming out with AMDs latest drivers. The gpu on the 79xx series cards are physically larger, more complex and more expensive processors to manufacture than those on the high end 6xx series cards. With their new drivers, the 79xx series cards are better than their equal priced nvidia competitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom