Finally building a NEW COMPUTER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

creflo

Solid State Member
Dear Friends,

My current computer I ordered from Dell in November 2000, and being a full time student that enjoys gaming, I have decided to upgrade to a new system. I currently play games like BF2 and WoW. I want to be ready for future games like Warhammer Online and I would love to be able to play current high-end games like CoD4 and Crisis. I am either going to build this system from scratch myself (which I have never done) or I am going to order one from CyberPower Inc. - building the best Gaming PC is not only our profession, it is our obsession. so I have a few questions for ya'll:

First off, I would like to know what the general gaming public considers to be the best Windows OS for gaming…Vista or XP? What will XP SP3 and Vista SP1 have to offer for gamers?

Second, I am planning on an Intel/SLI based system, but what processor should I go with…Quad-Core or Dual-Core? I have heard that XP won't support Quad processors and have also heard that Dual-Core systems are better for gaming.

Third, I would like to know what would be better for high-end games like CoD4 and Crisis…two 8800 GT in SLI or a faster single card like the GTS, GTX, etc.

And finally, has anyone had experience with Cyberpower Inc? I have heard several good things about the systems they build but also have heard that their shipping and return policies are horrible as well as their customer service. This is the system I am looking at buying and yes…I can finally afford it after 8 years of waiting! Here it is: CyberPower Gamer Infinity SLI 8800

If I end up buying this PC, I will more than likely get the upgraded memory and PSU (1.1k) just so I don't have to upgrade further down the road. I don't really need the monitor as I currently use a Sony 24” Widescreen CRT Monitor capable of insane resolution and almost no response delay (the only bad thing is it's almost 100 lbs. and that isn't too fun hauling to grandma's house in the middle of an ice storm). Anyway, what do you all think? I haven't kept up with computer technology that much so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Creflo

cyberpower is a pretty good company to go w/ if you don't feel confident to build yourself... they're definitely cheaper than all the other competitors...

for the run down, imma say get windows XP, 2 8800gt's, 2gb ram, maybe 500gigs of hdd space (unless you need more) and maybe 2 cd burners.. as for a cpu, if you got the money go for a q6600, if not, then an e8400 is awesome as well

As far as the optical burner drives go, how should I have it set up? One DVD-RW and one CD-RW? Or try to go for a combo drive?

Thanks.

Creflo

i just have two dvd-rw drivers... because dvd-rw drives still burn cd's... or even if you can afford it.. i'd get a blu-ray/hd-dvd combo drive... and 1 dvd-rw drive... just so you have blu-ray dvd viewing capabilities since you got a nice 24 inch monitor capable of large resolutions

There is no real reason to buy a $3200 computer, ever. My suggestion is to buy a $2000ish computer and save the rest to upgrade since it will be out of date in a few months anyways.

Also, build yourself! It is a lot easier then it looks/sounds and it is a lot of fun. Plus, you will know your computer inside and out, which will really come in handy when you have a problem with it, instead of having to deal with a computer maker's customer service.

I did a bit of research and found out that the Extreme Quad-Core CPUs are expensive and maybe it would be better to just upgrade to the new 45nm CPU later on down the road and go for a Q6600 now. Also, I'm going to try and build from scratch then see what the price difference is between the custom built PC vs. the cyberpower PC that I can build on their site. I've heard some people say it was cheaper to buy from them than build the same rig themselves, since they give rebates on most of the parts you select, etc. However, that could just be marketing fluff who knows.

Anyhow, my main goal for this computer is high-end gaming for now (CoD4, Crisis) with plenty of power and upgrade ability for the future. My budget is around $3,500 but the less I can spend, the better of course.

I was planning on something like this:

Intel Q6600 CPU (how fast can I overclock this again?)
Asus Striker II 780i Mobo (cause I've never OC'd before and heard it would help)
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM (I heard this is the best RAM)
2xEVGA Geforce 8800 GT in SLI (or get better card then SLI later on?)
2x150GB Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM SATA150 16MB Cache (should I go 4x74GB setup instead?)
320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (go more?)
1.1k watt Tagan TG1100-U96 TurboJet Quad Quiet SLI Ready (for future upgrades)
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (or should I go with a fan system?)
DVD-RW / CD-RW Drive (should I get a combo drive or 2 singles?)
CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case (good ventilation/noise reduction but I'm open to suggestions)

Yes I've never overclocked anything before, and yes I am not familiar with the best setups for Raid and Optical drives, etc. but hopefully I will learn with your help. At some point I will use this computer with Fraps to create in-game videos and such once I learn the software. I've always wanted a top-notch computer that can do just about anything I throw at it and now is my chance. With that in mind, please feel free to continue giving me great advice. Thanks.

Creflo

Go with vista for dx10 and later on stuff.

Really besides people that just want to rant most people here will tell you that vista is a ok OS and does differ much from XP which both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Other than that you have a great high end pc that 3 years down the road you will probably cry over since it will have cost you only $1000 in 2011. But until then happy gaming :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom