Finally assembling! (quick mobo ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmMgmnt

Baseband Member
OK so I finally got all the pieces in my sig. Keep in my this is my first build so these are prolly noob questions.

PSU installed, check.
I/O shield swapped out, check.

Now for the mobo, I know it's ATX and the P5W manual suggests for 9 holes to be screwed down through the mobo. Fine. I look inside the case and I see 6 little .. well.. they look like 6 little anthills almost, spaced where I would need to install the gold mounting screws. They protrude outwards, towards where the motherboard would be. Are these the same as the gold mounting hex screws that came with my case? The case only gave me 5 (gold screws). Clearly 9-5 = not enough gold screws, so makes me think these little anthill things count for 6 of them. That means I only need to use 3 of the gold screws.

Also, what about the washers? Do I need to use them at all? If so, above or below the mobo?

Thanks helping the stupid noob heh.

RM

Well, got past that (I think).

Some new (easier?) questions:

1. My fear has come true. The fan part of the HSF for my Scythe Ninja hits my 25cm case fan once the case fan panel is put back on. (Looking at the case from the front) I can attach the fan from the bottom side (instead of the front side, which would blow air directly towards rear fan for exhaust), BUT this would cause the fan to almost rest right on top of the Intel 975X (which I believe is the northbridge?) Is this bad if it does? I can make it fit but will just use passive cooling + included ASUS baby fan if need be.

2. Front audio connections are a pain! ASUS did not include a 10-1 pin audio connector for mic and headphone jumpers so I have to manually insert each one... where can I pick up a 10-1 audio port? Google'ed the heck out of it and came up empty handed.

Other observations:
-Process was a little more difficult than I thought: delicate pieces and sometimes more-than-seemingly-approriate-force required makes me very nervous.
-The Scythe Ninja is a ****in' beast.
-The 7950GX2 is a ****in' beast too.
-I hope this thing actually works once I'm done assembling :(

RM

Always try to use all the standoffs you can for best support, as for your fans as long as the one fan is not actually touching the northbridge it should be fine.

Hmm.. I'll have to see just exactly how much clearance I can get. I know it's not much, maybe a few cm at best. It might be just enough to hang it over the northbridge.

THanks for the reply though.

RM

Since you said you have a 25cm fan, do you have an xclio case? If so, which one? I've been thinking about upgrading to the zalman CNPS9500 but have been wondering if there will be enough clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom