Final thoughts on ~$600 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Had a thread 2 weeks ago asking about a comp for a friend. Anyways that thread kinda died but what do you guys think about this?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N971-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

If buying all from Newegg it comes out to $608 - $75. Was thinking about getting the motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and possibly case (depends on shipping) from ebay if they get the live.com cashback back. All those parts would actually be a tiny bit cheaper there even before the before the rebate.

Hopeing for 3.8ghz will that ram and motherboard be good enough? That would be a fsb of 380 so I doubt I will be able to tighten the timings.

You'll be fine...

But what about the HD 4830 instead of the 9800GT? Unless he loves Crapsis

He loves Microsoft Flight Simulator X, actually hes a pilot so he needs it for work. According to what I saw FSX hates ati. I couldn't find many reviews but tomshardware said that FSX SP2 at higher settings would only pull low 20fps with a 4850 but would actually pull low 30's with only a 9600gt. Can anybody confirm if thats right?

So that board and ram is pretty good? I have the 2gb version of the ram and like it but I only run 310-330fsb.

Also would there be any board that wouldn't be to much more that had sli? I doubt he will ever run it but wanted to give him some choices.

From what I was able to find the quad core helps but only a tiny bit. I'll mention it to him but I'm thinking he is sticking with dual core for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom