Final stage i7 920 build....RAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
Ive got all parts ready and can start building a system right now the only thing I lack is RAM!!

I know its a big part to miss out from my system plan but the RAMS are sooooo confusing :confused:
Any ways REMEMBER ITS A BUDGET BUILD!! and the rig is not going to be used for any hardcore gaming....just casual gaming on medium settings on a 1280x1024 Res monitor:happy:

The main perpose of this rig is media editing and movie creation and a littli bit of grafix designing and a whole lote of ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:D

Back to the POINT--------------------->>>>before I list the RAM modules I have acsess to a simple question.......does voltage matter???..1.65 vs 1.5?? and if it does then how does it affect systems life:confused::confused::confused:

The only things you'll need to keep in mind are:

- DDR3
- at least 1333MHz speed
- a good brand, such as Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, Crucial (most have lifetime warranties)
- with an i7 I recommend you get a 3x1GB set, unless you need more in which case double the price and 3x2GB.

Here's a recommendation, assuming you're in the US: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BL3KIT12864BN1337 - Desktop Memory

However if you have the budget for it, I would recommend 1600MHz RAM instead.

While what the others recommended are good sets of memory, you should keep in mind they are used to recommending for gaming builds.

As you are building this primarily for design/editing i would say you should sacrifice speed to get more ram. So if under your budget its a choice between 3GBs at 1600Mhz or 6GB at 1333Mhz i would take the 1333Mhz ram if i were you. More ram is going to be much more helpful in your case than slightly faster ram which is really only going to help if your overclocking and doing alot of gaming.

I know in my case 3GB of ram just doesnt cut it these days. 6GB gives me enough headroom to work across multiple programs at once.

Oh yeh, and voltage does matter to a point, you cant go over 1.65v but you wont find any 3 or 6GB kits like that anyway. The lower the better, but this is really only if your going to overclock, and no it shoulnt have a direct impact on the lifetime of the system.

thank you every one for the quick replies...

The sets I have availible here are the :

1. 6GB 3x2GB kingston 1333MHZ 1.5 V dimms
2. 6Gb 3x2GB corshair 1600 MHZ 1.65 v dimms

both are in my reach but I want a set that last me for 10 years without giving me any error or get damaged in this lifespan!

I love the corshair kit but the 1.5 volt kingston kit tends to offer a longer life.....WHICH ONE SHOULD I TAKE??

*edit*
and can the corshair ones be run at 1333MHZ??? and if so can I get it to work at 1.5 V??

You can go over 1.65v on your memory with no ill effects. You just have to make sure your DIMM/QPI voltage stays within .5v of your DRAM voltage. This is easily done and it won't hurt the life expectancy.

As for wanting the ram to last 10 years, even if you ran the memory underclocked and under volts it still may die prematurely. There is no way to guarantee 10 years of use.

uneeb83 said:
I love the corshair kit but the 1.5 volt kingston kit tends to offer a longer life

That statement is false. Just because it's rated for 1.5v doesn't mean it's going to last longer. Personally I've owned memory from numerous manufacturers and OCZ has been the most reliable. Actually, of all the memory I have owned, Corsair always seems to die sooner rather than later. And Kingston, while once a major memory brand, just hasn't kept up. Kingston would be one of my last choices.

As for running 1600MHz memory at 1333 at 1.5volts, any 1600MHz memory can run at 1333MHz while the exact voltage needed will have to be tested. But I would think 1.5v would be about right. However running it at 1333MHz won't guarantee a longer life, but it will guarantee slower performance.

I appreciate ur advice but sadly OZC is not availible here :-(
I some how have this gut feeling that thekingston is much more reliable and willl last me longer than most RAMs......correct me if I am wrong...

Anyways im gonna go with the Corshair kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom