Final List-I think for build-Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedic12

Baseband Member
After much forum reading and some posts I think I got my build list down to the final draft. I'm looking for fine tuning of the list and recommendations.

This build is for gaming only.

OCing? Hmm, well, I'm a virgin to OCing. I've heard alot about, I want to do it, I know of some who are doing it, I'm nervous for the first time. So we'll see. I think with the parts I have on the list, it shouldn't be a problem except for cooling.

Case: Antec Performance Plus Plus Veiw II
Mobo: DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR
CPU: AMD athlon 64X2 4400+ Toledo
HD: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500K2 7200rmp 3.0Gb/s 250gb
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W
Video: (2) evga 256-P2-N516 GeForce 7800gt 256mb

The following parts I already have:

Ram: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader
SC: CL SoundBlaster Audigy 4
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1
DVD: Lite-ON ATAPI/E-IDE SHW-160P6S

My main concern is compatibility. If I've done my homework correct, I should be fine.

So any thoughts on tweaking the list? (i.e-do I really need to SLI? or on the AMD, going w/Opteron and switching mobo)

I'm not sure on this but, i believe that one 7800GTX 512mb beats out 2 7800GT's, if i'm correct you should just get one 7800GTX 512mb instead, but other then that it looks fantastic.

just a thought, since you already have corsair ram, look into getting the newest ASUS mobo since ASUS and corsair are made for each other. like how OCZ and DFI are made for each other. but that shouldnt be too much of a big deal. that looks like its gona be one monster of a system

Yea, that computer will be crazy. The only possible change I would make would be to get a 256MB 7800GTX (two if you have the money), and then save up another $150-$200 to get another one a few months down the road. That way you would end up with more overall power, but that still is not even anywhere close to necessary. What you have listed will be crazy, I have the x2 3800+ and a single 7800GT, and that is a ton of power. Hope your new comp goes well, let us know the results!

Great input. Thats what I'm looking for. Sounds like a single 7800gtx might be the way to go. I thought about doing that when I started looking into a new rig.

As far as the mobo goes. I'm kind of partial to DFI. That was the first board I bought on my first build. I've had good luck with DFI. But I bought the Corsair not knowing about DFI/OCZ or ASUS/Corsair match. So some thinking to do.

Recommendations on ASUS mobos?

On the 512mb 7800GTX, thats a pretty hefty price. With the games today like COD2, BF2 and such, am I going to gain anything by going to the 512 vs 256 single card?

But then again, I'm already putting out close to $1500, so what would be a couple of extra hundies... I'm just curious on if I would see a change in performance.

You wouldnt notice too much now, but when UT 2007 comes out you'll be able to max it out at 1600*1200 full aa and af, also down the road you might want to pick up a Ageia PhysX Card. The 7800GTX 512mb will last you a whole lot longer, becasue of the 512mb, and when games do start testing this card, you can always buy another later on down the road, and still be top of the line for years to come.

For cooling...

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

35-118-223-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom