Final decision on gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
ASUS P5k pro motherboard - guessing this is similar to a ds3r. If ds3r is better I'll get it.
Kentsfield Q6700 + freezer 7 fan
2 gigs kingston ddr2 1066

I'm thinking of selling my 8800GTS G92 and getting a ATI HD3870 gpu - comments

Any comments, or suggestions?

ASUS P5k pro motherboard - guessing this is similar to a ds3r. If ds3r is better I'll get it.
Kentsfield Q6700 + freezer 7 fan
2 gigs kingston ddr2 1066

I'm thinking of selling my 8800GTS G92 and getting a ATI HD3870 gpu - comments

Any comments, or suggestions?

Bro if you already dished out the extra money for the 8800GTS the dumbest thing you can do is sell it and downgrade. 8800GTS ---> 3870 = downgrade.

The freezer 7 is a good cooler, but only for how much it costs. It's good for extreme budget builds and in my opinion is only sufficient for cooling dual cores.

The Xigmatek is miles better. And the q6600 is going to overclock just as well as the Q6700, there's just no point in spending the extra money.

...and the DDR2 1000 ram is 2x2gb for a total of 4gb. 66mhz is not going to make a difference and plus you can overclock it anyway.

i like my 6700 better than my ol 6600... it gets to where i want without making my motherboard have the ability to fry an egg on it

but if you don't plan on trying to get 4000+ mhz run in 3dmark and other benchmarks... then i don't really see much reason of getting a q6700

only thing the q6700 really does is eliminate the need for uuber high fsb's... cuz after 400fsb... the juices are needed.. and mobo's get hot!

but even so, unless you have a cream of the crop chip and super good cooling a stable 24/7 3.8+ghz clock is highly unlikely on a q6600, q6700, or any 65nm quad.

Pretty much all mobos nowadays do 400fsb no problem and that's 3.6ghz. Plenty...certainly more than an AF7 Pro can handle lol

Also it sounds like you need some better cooling on your NB...the other day I put 1.63V through my NB for 523fsb and it was 39c under load, I'm using the stock cooling. The X38 is a much different chipset than the 680i, but they are both notorious for running fairly warm.

Ah, can you suggest some after market cooling from newegg for my northbridge? I'll probably be clocking my Q6700 to about 3.6-3.8. Would I need some liquid cooling at that point? and should the Ds3r be able to handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom