Final check on the "important bits" of the rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Final check on the "important bits" of the rig

Graphics - 4870 1Gb $425

CPU - Phenom II 920 2.8Ghz $340

Mobo - ....?

Ram - I've got some 'ok' stuff lined up, just not sure what's the general consensus on what to get.

As you may have guessed by the title, I'm putting together a system for a mate. He's trying to keep the price sorta low (e.g NO $2000 ram sticks), which is why I decided to go with the Phenom as opposed to an i7 (even the cheapest i7 over here cost $100 extra).
Um, so yeah. I need input on which motherboard, and what ram to get.
cheers dudes.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Final check on the "important bits" of the rig

What shop are you buying from? So that I can have a looky and help you choose

Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Um, various shops so far, but Foxcomp, Austin, and PLE mostly.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

Got a link? I am in the UK. its often better to buy from one shop a) saves on shipping adding up b) if something goes wrong and you need to send a part back you can send back multiple parts that you believe may be the problem and not get multiple techy testing fees.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

oh, lol dun worry about shipping. I live close enough to these shops that I get the parts either sent for free or I pick them up.

.:: Foxcomp Technology ::. - Your favourite IT Solution Provider
www.austin.net
PLE Computers Perth, Online Shopping, Computers, Notebooks, Hardware, Service and Repairs
Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Patron

Firstly if you wait a little bit longer AM3 socket will come out any time now the AM3 processors will be backwards compatible with AM2+ motherboards but Am2/AM2+ processors won't be compatible with AM3 motherboards. The secondary effect of all this will be a drop in the processor and motherboard market. if you can wait a month I reccommend you do if however you have to buy soon then I get this

mobo (cheaper) Foxcomp Perth :: Buy ASUS M3A79-T-DELUXE AM2+, 790FX, HT5200, DDR2, PCIE2.0, RAID, 2xVGA, GbLAN, 2x1394a, ATX : Foxcomp Technology Perth Western Australia
mobo (expensive but good) Foxcomp Perth :: Buy ASUS M3N78-PRO AM2+, GF8300, 5200MT, DDR2, PCIEx16, RAID, 2x1394a, GbLAN, ATX : Foxcomp Technology Perth Western Australia
memory Foxcomp Perth :: Buy Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM : Foxcomp Technology Perth Western Australia

Instead of the 4870 1gb get this
Foxcomp Perth :: Buy Galaxy GF GTX 260+ (216SP) PCI-E 2.0 896MB DDR3 448-bit 575/2000MHz. 2x Dual-Link DVI HDCP : Foxcomp Technology Perth Western Australia
Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well, it's up to me mate as to whether he waits for the AM3's, but I'll put it to him.
thanks a ton for all that, I really need to get back in the loop on a few things

Closed Thread