Final build, should I go ahead and order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I would prefer the 965P chipset unless you plan to go SLI...and even then...the 650i chipset only allows 2 8x PCI lanes...

Even though the 650i, only runs SLI in 8x mode, it outperforms it's big brother 680i, which runs SLI in full x16 mode.

? how does it do that?

Becuase there is plenty more bandwidth on the express lanes than is actually needed from cards today. AGP's bandwidth was not even maxed when they moved onto PCI-E. Even with two 8800GTX's full 16x SLI in both lanes is not needed yet.

Becuase there is plenty more bandwidth on the express lanes than is actually needed from cards today. AGP's bandwidth was not even maxed when they moved onto PCI-E. Even with two 8800GTX's full 16x SLI in both lanes is not needed yet.

...but how does the 650i outperform the 680i?

I didn't say the 650i outperforms, the 680i in overall performance. I said that, it outperforms the 680i, in SLI performance. But I wouldn't be surprised, if the 650i overall, beats the 680i.

I didn't say the 650i outperforms, the 680i in overall performance. I said that, it outperforms the 680i, in SLI performance. But I wouldn't be surprised, if the 650i overall, beats the 680i.

Yeah and I asked you how it did that...and you answered that cards today don't utilize the full bandwidth that both 16x lanes provide...but that doesn't explain how the 650i SLI performance outperforms the 680i at all?

you've confused me.

It's not known for sure why but the 680i was designed to have both lanes at x16 and probably since the 650i could have one operate at x8 they were able to design it different. It's not known why in some tests it gets 1 or 2 FPS better but it just does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom