Few questions needing answering for a first time builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

karshtakavaar

Solid State Member
pretty much I am going to be getting a new computer, thinking of building myself (but that is still neither here nor there).

The parts I have scouted out are as follows

Antec 120mm SmartCool Fan x2
Samsung 1TB SATA II 7200RPM 32M
Antec TWELVE HUNDRED Full Tower Gaming Case NO PSU
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU
Asus RAMPAGE II Extreme LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 FSB1800(OC)RAID 2GBLAN3xPCIE
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Triple Kit
Galaxy GF GTX 285 PCI-E 2.0 1GB DDR3 512-bit
Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply 140mm fan

First question, will it work?
1b) if not what should be changed

Question 2 is: Are there any changes you would suggest to that system? The price range is about $3000AUD, and that lot tallies in at about $2900

That system will work just fine. If you are not a heavy overclocker the motherboard you chose is more than you need. If you like asus look at the 6pt for it will save you some cash. If you do not plan on running sli in the future a tx-750 would be more than enough power. You could also save some money by going with a gtx 260 or an ati 4870 gpu.

Keep in mind these are suggestion only to save some cash. The build you chose is very nice and if price is not an issue I would go with it as is.

An optical drive I was just going to cannibalise from my current computer (has two) and as for the overclocking, I was thinking of reading up on how to overclock (just a small bit for the cpu)

An optical drive I was just going to cannibalise from my current computer (has two) and as for the overclocking, I was thinking of reading up on how to overclock (just a small bit for the cpu)

Oh come on! Drop the 20 bucks on a new dvd burner!

I agree with spit-wad....might consider spending the cash on a new burner. But that is up to you. Also, depending on how much and if you want to OC, you'd probably want to look at getting an after market CPU cooler.

Also, depending on how much and if you want to OC, you'd probably want to look at getting an after market CPU cooler.

I know enough to build a theoretically workable computer (at the most basic level) but for stuff like cpu coolers I'd need a suggestion of a compatible one.

If you are not a heavy overclocker the motherboard you chose is more than you need. If you like asus look at the 6pt

Switching the plan to an eVGA X58 SLI, anyone able to tell me if they are reliable/good for very basic OC.

Now, a question to any Aussies out there who have ever used MEGABUY - Buy Cheap Computer Parts Computer Hardware & Software Online

Are they good?, this will be my first major online purchase so I'm trying to make sure I get something reliable.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Supposed to be a very good CPU cooler. And comes with the tx-2 thermal paste which is supposed to be some of the best stuff out. Now as far as whether you need it or not, that is up to you. From my research, the stock cooler for the i7 is sufficient if you don't plan on oc'ing. If you do plan on it (which I do to some extent) then you would probably want to look into this or other after market coolers. Perhaps someone with more expertise than me can chime in as well.
-Pure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom