A few questions on my new PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejjman1

Baseband Member
I have just a few questions. First of all, the PC is working great! I just wonder if I should do a few of these things, and troubleshooting other things.

My PC
-Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

-EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard

-EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

-OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK

-COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

-COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-Gateway FHD2401 Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 2000:1

-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Windows 7 RC1 64 Bit

Phew..I think that is everything. So now to the questions/problems!

1. The fans in the case (there are around 3 I think) can be hooked up to the power supply, or I can connect them into the motherboard. Should I go with the motherboard, or go straight for the power supply?

2. What should I set my refresh Hz to? The highest option available?

3. When I play Call of Duty: WaW, or even other games, the Video Card, like, freezes, and it is really wierd. I CTRL-ALT-DELETE, then open task manager, it is running fine. So I close task manager, then the game comes up and starts working fine. Is this cause my video card is not warmed up or something?

4. Just a few moments ago, my mouse quit working. I couldn't get it to work again. I restarted my computer, and it took ages and never started back up. Troubleshooting, I unplugged the power from the wall, waited 2 minutes, plugged it back in. Everything started fine again. My dad said something was wrong in the memory, and it isn't bad since it just happened once...Any second opinions? I think it might be a bad motherboard :O. I hope not.

5. Temperatures of CPU Cores are around 40C under a tiny load, but CPU is 30C...Huh?

6. Along with 5, my VREG is around 48C at all times. This fine?

7. I am not sure what PhysX is, but if I wanted to SLI another GTX 295, I couldn't with this motherboard? And if 300 series comes out, can I 'physX' it? I'm still figuring that out.

I might add questions, but ya, ANY QUESTIONS ANSWERED IS LOVED. ;)

1. Whichever you can get the best cable management with.

2. 70Hz is fine, anything higher is also fine. Just make sure the quality's good and you'll be golden. If you can't see any faults on 70Hz then leave it. You aren't got to see any improvement on higher refresh rates.

3. See below.

4. Did you install all your drivers correctly? e.g. the chipset driver?

5. Put it under full load with LinX, post up your temps (use Realtemp)

6. Yep, that's fine

Thanks for the reply!

1. Ok, I like the current cable management for sure.

2. 60 Hz is the highest it goes. It seems to be working fine.

3. Yes I got the driver specific to my 64 bit. :\

4. Ok, I kinda had trouble, maybe I got the wrong one or something.

5. Meh, ok. Sometime.

6. Sweet.

60Hz is fine too, as long as you don't see the screen jittering or anything like that you don't have a problem.

5. no, NOW. :) lol

60Hz is fine too, as long as you don't see the screen jittering or anything like that you don't have a problem.

5. no, NOW. :) lol

How long does it take.

EDIT: I can't find the program either.

EDIT2: how do I check chipset drivers installed correctly? I don't think I probably did 64 bit or something.

K, I don't think I can do that tonight, but sometime.

As for the other, its x16, my motherboard only has one slot I think for that, so ya, I didn't think I could?

ugh -.-

lol, on the actual motherboard picture, view the PCI slots, they say x16, x8, x8, x4. I thought that meant that ones were specific and couldn't be used for the other. I hope you understand what I'm saying? If not, then they are dumb for putting that for new people like me.

EDIT: If I did decide to do that, there's no way my power supply could handle them..?

No, your psu will be fine with 2 cards. I'm not sure if you can do 3 GTX 295 sli'd because they're already dual gpus by themselves.

But yeah, you can get another GTX 295 and SLI it with your other one. To be safe I'd say getting a slightly better PSU, maybe one with a little more amperage available. But 750W at 60A should do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom