A few questions about an upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
My friend has told me a few things which im quite sure aren't true and just wanted to clear things up,

1) Can you run an agp graphics card in a pci-express motherboard?

2) I've found this ram called Hynix ram, it's 1024mb, (not 2x512), what is soo good about the "good gaming" ram, if I had 4gbs of this stuff wouldn't it be just as good? Im not intending to overclock it at all.

That's about it, my main concern is question 1 as I'm sure that you can't run an agp card in a pci-express mobo. But anyway get back to me,

Thanks.

1) theres one mobo with an AGP slot and PCIE16 slot so yes but not really

2) Not really, I had hynix ram on my 9800pro video card :p

4GB's wouldnt be excellent for gaming, Dunno 2GB's enough and 4GB's is just overkill and highly expensive

yeah, but if you buy 4gb you are prepared for the future, but dont games wont start needing 4gb's for a couple years.

lol there's actually about 4 mobos that support both.

there's also a mobo with both 754 and 939, what is this world coming too.

Can you give me brand + models for these mobo's that support both agp and pci-ex?
Yeah so what IS So good about this gaming ram and why do people pay ridiculous amounts of money to buy it when i can buy this hynix ddr400, pc3200 ram for $103 AUD each! for a 1024mb stick.

more expensive rams have lower latencies (tigher timings).

so some expensive ram will have 2-2-2 timings while cheap ram will be like 4-4-4. more expensive ram also tends not to give your motherboard problems...

more expensive ram is also more overclockable. when ppl want to overclock their cpus, they also have to overclock their motherboard bus speed, which inturn speeds up their memory. (mem dividers are a way of going around this.......but now i'm getting too technical..)

and for dual-channel ram, if you buy a kit, those rams are tested and guaranteed to work together in dual channel. cheap ram isn't.. it CAN... but not guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom