Few questions about upcoming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
One of my friends wants me to help him build a new computer and hes really uninformed about modern day stuff and frankly so am I, so I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit with a few answers to my questions:

1. Whats the best bang for your buck quad core?

2. Is it worth it to wait for usb3, sata3, and pcie3 that are supposedly coming out next year, I have no idea what kind of performance differences these will be. Will PCIE3 be the new standard as opposed to regular PCI-E slot? ( much like AGP vs PCI-E )

3. Whats the best bang for your buck video card, is it still the 4850 or maybe the GTX 250?

1. Core i7's or the Phenom II x4's
2. No no no and we don't know... most likely though, it will be backwards compatible
3. I'd say the HD 4770, but its arguable

1) phenom II x4 although the x3 720 is great but a triple core.

2) no

3) most likely 4850 or GTS250 not GTX.

The real question is what is your friends budget and what do they want to do with this computer?

yes, its going to be a gaming computer that will be around $750

what about the old qxxx quad cores? do they have a better performance/cost ratio then the i7s and Phenom IIs?

so I shouldn't worry about any of this new interface stuff? is it only for the core i7 x35 mother boards or something?

thanks again for the replies

I wouldn't care about it.. it would be backwards compatible anyways, just like the other stuff out with it.. plus now is the perfect time to have an upgrade bug, because there are so many things you can have on a nice budget

Phenom II X3/X4 or Core i7 920 maybe the Core 2 Quad qXXXX's.. but with AMD's wild price cutting, you can get an AMD that's a bit faster than the Intel around the same price

i think an i7 build would be out of his price range of $750. so i would suggest a build, built around a x3

i think an i7 build would be out of his price range of $750. so i would suggest a build, built around a x3

Of course it would be, but I was telling what would be good; and what is recommended here

yeah i know vernong you know your s**t, i was just telling him what to look at.

vernong i would never doubt your words lol. we are techies' bible makers lol

I think though, by September, it could be managable into an 800 Build, there should be Quarterly price cuts (hopefully)

At this point, you can fit it into a $1k budget.. barely (emphasis on barely) its like $999 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom