A few questions about my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac07

Solid State Member
Hello,
I am currently doing research on my first build, and I believe I have most of the parts picked out. However, I do have several questions:

1) This computer's most common use will be to play World of Warcraft. With that in mind, do I need an eVGA 7900GT, or would a 7600 be enough to run WoW on the highest settings?

2) I am slightly confused about Hard Drives. With an SATA HD, do I need to run it in a RAID configuration, or is it alright to use alone? Or, do I need an IDE HD?

3) Again with HD's... As this computer is mostly for playing WoW, how much HD space would you recommend? I have another desktop that I will use to store music etc, so yeah... I really don't have any idea.

I think that is all for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

I thought of another question:

To run a mid-level gaming pc, what wattage PSU would you recommend. I was thinking about an Antec 500W, but I wasn't sure if that was enough. If I someday decide I want to SLI, what wattage would I need for that?

WoW is not very graphic intensive. A 7600 would be enough, although the 7900 will produce slightly faster framerates for other games. Remember anything above 60-75 fps is pointless, as it goes past human and monitor detection capabilities.

500W is plenty for SLI, and really for anything. One thing is you need a reliable supply. A cheap 500W will do worse than a good quality 400W. This one here looked amazing for its performance, stability and cabling features, although it is a bit pricey. I think there might be a cheaper version without a light. Ultra isn't known for good PSUs, but I checked a number of reviews and they reported that it was solid. It's on newegg too if you're ordering from there IIRC.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273353&CatId=0

I don't think there should be a problem with only 1 SATA drive, but this isn't really something I know a lot about.

EDIT: About the HD size, get the fastest drive that has enough space. More space doesn't help if you don't use it, but more speed does. Make sure it's a 7200 RPM drive. I've used comps with 40 and 60GB without any problems, but getting a 160GB drive is pretty cheap these days. Seagate is a good brand I hear.

7600 GT will be fine, infact its more than fine. as for PSU just get a Antec TruePowerII, i think the one under 550watt is 480W or 450W, just get that one, 480 or 450 whichever it is. udont need 550watt.

as for hard drive, u can get one small 7200RPM SATA hard drive, like 80GB or something like a 74GB Raptor which is 10kRPM, it is beneficial, but u probably wouldnt need it if ur on a tight budget. if u can affordd it, by all means get the 74GB Western Digital Raptor, otherwise, dont.

thanks for the help, I greatly aprreciate it. Off to fiddle with my wishlist at newegg... :)

i'd recomend the 74GB Western Digital Raptor. it runs at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm... it can access the info faster.

i'd recomend the 74GB Western Digital Raptor. it runs at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm... it can access the info faster.

pheeww..........glad we got that cleared up, i was so confused for a while, lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom