Well I've been doing some research, but still got some questions. I gotta ask mostly on your thoughts and preferences on certain things.
Maybe It'll help to list my intended uses in order of importance:
- music recording and the like. Big #1 Need lots of RAM and excellent processor speed to avoid "skips", lots of Hard drive disk space and
2.) Entertainment/ Media Center
- I don't think I want an HTPC, I want to hook up an A/V receiver to my PC so I can play mp3's and regular sounds at an excellent sound quality
- Hook it up to my HDTV
- blu ray
- Mostly art or cover art and to tinker
3.) some Video editing
- maybe video to help present music performances or maybe a homemade music video, I'm a little iffy and uneducated but I'm not making a movie
4.) some Gaming
- I love RTS games and some role playing games like Oblivion but I'm a casual gamer. I got an Xbox for shooter and other games.
1 Which the difference between Nvidia or ATI Graphic cards? One good for gaming, Other for video editing work? How much video memory will I need?
2. Any use over 4GB of RAM? Right now, current software has no capacity, but what about Windows 7?
3. What are some good sites to pick out parts? Other than Newegg or Tigerdirect?
4. I want to build a quiet and a cool PC, which is going to be difficult
silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
- hard drive silent reviews
Motherboard Heatsink > over fan?
Anyone use Zalman silent fan or heatsink?
The Software tool Maxtor
which adjusts hard disk's noise/performance
to system requirements?
5. Good quiet Power supply to go with ques. 4?
6. Which processor, Intel or AMD? I am more familiar with Intel and have heard that most audio engineers prefer Intel, although I don't know, what are the differences?
7. Optic drives: A blu ray drive and burner should cover dvd/cd right? plus it sounds like an investment, we might see games and data on blu ray soon. BUT blu ray, player > drive?
EDIT: 8. What is the hardest thing to upgrade? Probably the motherboard or processor so at least get those good and let other things come when the budget increases?
Am I leaving anything out? That's all I can think of right now, but may add more later. Sorry for the long thread, Thank you guys so much for your responses, you all have already been a big help!