Fat32 > Ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuaziBee

Daemon Poster
I have a client who has WinXP ProSP2 on her machine but it is installed on a FAT32 partition. It is supposed to be a high performance machine and I know NTFS is mucho better. My question is; is there any harm in doing a simple comversion from FAT32 to NTFS or is that going to create more problems for me to worry about?
I have only once converted a FAT32 drive while retaining all the data on the disk but it was not a system disk so I didn't worry much about it.

There's not really a point to convert it. The improvement will not be that big. The only reason I would do it is because of the 4GB file limit. Just wait untill you will have to re-install Windows and use NTFS to format the disk.

my friend actually came across the 4gb file limit prob and had to convert his hd. but in the process reinstalled windows

Hey QuaziBee,
Welcome to T.F.!

I don't see any harm in converting a system disk to NTFS. It is the current after all. You just have to reformat using the NTFS file system, and reinstall Windows.

Thanks guys, I was just hoping I could do it without having to reinstall all the apps.

And thank you for the welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom