Fast ahrd drive config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
Fast hard drive config(RAID0/Raptor)

At the moment I have a single WD Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS. But Im looking for something faster, And more storage would aslo be nice.
Im considering:
A single raptor 150GB
Getting another WD Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS and putting them in raid0.
Buying 2 Caviar RE 250GB 2500YS(slightly better) and putting those in raid, then using the other HD for backup.

PS, I do have a 120GB external HD which im currently using to backup.

Can anyone suggest the fastest(and cheap) solution please :).
Id like to especially hear from people who hard harddrives in Raid0/Raptors.

Thanks again

2x WD Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS in raid... you not going to get much "faster" times with the YS then the KS... it will be minimal at best.

Speed isnt the reason why i thought 2x Caviar RE 250GB 2500YS would be more suitable. i just thought for the sake of £3 you also get a 5years warranty instead of 3 years.
Thanks for the help :)

How much of a difference am i going to soo just by adding another Caviar RE 250GB 2500KS and raid0'ing them?.
This is the cheap option(which is always good) and if I will get a noticable speed increase I may go for this, and use my external hard drive to abck up the important things.

You ought to get some decent gains.

I haven't looked up the models (meh), but go for one with a 16MB cache. Set your RAID as your primary, then Ghost your other drive to it.

they both have a 16MB cache, but I think that the YS models are designed more for RAID applications. I dont quite get what you mean by setting the raid as primary then ghosting another drive to it. Do you mean a sort of raid 0+1 config?

EDIT: i now purchased another 2500KS and Im going to raid them, then use my external for backup. thanks for the help people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom