fans on my case - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default fans on my case

my GPU is at its max temp all the time GPU 46 C (115 F)


i have 2 fans on the case one at the bottom on the front panel where the dvdrom is ect and one on the side but there both blowing out air....should i change the one thats on the side to a intake airflow so my GPU gets more air to it?
__________________

__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
jfenwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,648
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: fans on my case

What kind of case do you have? No fans on the back or top? Is there a place to install one on the back or top? Ideally you want air to come in, pass through your components and go back out. Front to back, bottom to top, etc... I'd atleast flip the front fan around for intake, try that and see what your temps are at. Then flip the other as well so both are intake and see again what your temps are...keep an eye on your ambient and cpu temps as well.

Anyways, I'd check and see if there is any way to install a fan on the back or top, that should be your exhaust and then flip both those to intake.

Oh, and are you saying that's your load temp on the gpu? If so, then no worries, that's nice and low. They can run up around/over 80C I believe without issue.
__________________

jfenwick is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: fans on my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
What kind of case do you have? No fans on the back or top? Is there a place to install one on the back or top? Ideally you want air to come in, pass through your components and go back out. Front to back, bottom to top, etc... I'd atleast flip the front fan around for intake, try that and see what your temps are at. Then flip the other as well so both are intake and see again what your temps are...keep an eye on your ambient and cpu temps as well.

Anyways, I'd check and see if there is any way to install a fan on the back or top, that should be your exhaust and then flip both those to intake.

Oh, and are you saying that's your load temp on the gpu? If so, then no worries, that's nice and low. They can run up around/over 80C I believe without issue.
and yes this is loaded i just switched my computer back on and it shot upto 46 C (115 F)
again


i have a

CIT ATX Gamer Case

* Ultimate black gaming case
* Screwless chassis
* Acrylic windowed side panel (with 80mm LED fan)
* Large 12cm front fan with Tri-Colour LED
* Compatible with ATX and MATX motherboards
* 4 x external 5.25-inch bays (behind hinged front panel door)
* 3 x internal 3.5-inch hard drive bays
* 2 x USB 2.0 ports and audio input/output on side of case
* Can take 2 x 80mm rear fans (not included)
* No PSU included

i dont have the money at the moment to put another 2 fans in.
and yes i can install a fan on the back as there is space for one

i was going to sell a mobo/CPU and heatsink but i cant post on the market forum yet

and na there is no way to put a fan on the top of the case unless i cut it out myself

i can try turning the fan near the GPU around so it blows in air and leave the big one at the front of the pannel as it is so theres air going in and some been taken out
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Atech66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N Ohio
Posts: 196
Default Re: fans on my case

your idle temp is not that high thats nowhere near max temp. for that card.
alot of people report averages of
50C Idle, 75-80C under 100% load and it runs fine. although thats a tad warm.
you could also try an inexpensive slot cooler. I stuck one in mine for the heck of it and dropped 2-3c on the GPU at idle.
__________________
http://www.forum-signatures.com/wiza...3454627674.gif

Core i7 920, MSI X58 Plat. SLI, 6 Gigs Mushkin 1333,
Corsair TX750, Samsung Sata 2 500, VISTA 64 :cool:

UNIVAC: a device, which contained 20,000 vacuum tubes, occupied 1,500 square feet and weighed 40 tons; there was also a laptop version weighing 27 tons.
Atech66 is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
jfenwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,648
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: fans on my case

I would do the following, go down the list till you hit an option that you can do/afford:

1) Buy two 80mm fans and install them on the rear as exhaust, and use the side/front fans as intake.

2) Buy one 80mm fan and install it as a rear exhaust and use the side/front fans as intake.

3) Remove the side fan and move it to the rear as exhaust so that you have air coming in the front and going out the back. If those temps are accurate you don't have any cooling issues with your gpu.

4) Use the front as an intake and the side as an exhaust. Or possibly both as intake. I would play around with a couple of different options and see where you get best temps. I wouldn't make the front fan an exhaust, leave that intake.

What program are you using to monitor temps?

You should be able to pick up two 80mm fans for well under $20. Either at a local comp store or even electrical supply store might have them as well. I know I can get two semi-decent fans for about $12CAN locally.
jfenwick is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: fans on my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atech66 View Post
your idle temp is not that high thats nowhere near max temp. for that card.
i wasnt sure on the max temps for this graphics card as i only just got it

i have just turnt my smaller fan around so its blowing air into the pc and still have the 12cm fan taking air out of the computer
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: fans on my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
I would do the following, go down the list till you hit an option that you can do/afford:

1) Buy two 80mm fans and install them on the rear as exhaust, and use the side/front fans as intake.

2) Buy one 80mm fan and install it as a rear exhaust and use the side/front fans as intake.

3) Remove the side fan and move it to the rear as exhaust so that you have air coming in the front and going out the back. If those temps are accurate you don't have any cooling issues with your gpu.

4) Use the front as an intake and the side as an exhaust. Or possibly both as intake. I would play around with a couple of different options and see where you get best temps. I wouldn't make the front fan an exhaust, leave that intake.

What program are you using to monitor temps?

You should be able to pick up two 80mm fans for well under $20. Either at a local comp store or even electrical supply store might have them as well. I know I can get two semi-decent fans for about $12CAN locally.

im useing everest home edition
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Atech66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N Ohio
Posts: 196
Default Re: fans on my case

also i would suggest trying "Realtemp" see if there is a difference in the readings.

techPowerUp! :: Download Real Temp 3.00
__________________
http://www.forum-signatures.com/wiza...3454627674.gif

Core i7 920, MSI X58 Plat. SLI, 6 Gigs Mushkin 1333,
Corsair TX750, Samsung Sata 2 500, VISTA 64 :cool:

UNIVAC: a device, which contained 20,000 vacuum tubes, occupied 1,500 square feet and weighed 40 tons; there was also a laptop version weighing 27 tons.
Atech66 is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: fans on my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atech66 View Post
also i would suggest trying "Realtemp" see if there is a difference in the readings.
ill try that now quickly

i just found some cooling fans will these fit my case?

Fan Nebula Arctic Blue Fan with 4 LEDs > Maplin

*edit*
the realtemp doesnt support my processor so it wont work
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
jfenwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,648
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: fans on my case

Yup, it's 80mm, the holes are standardized so any of the 80mm fans will install. Find what you like and go with it. I use ATI Tool to stress my vid card to check temps:

ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

I use rivatuner to OC but ATI Tool for temps and double checked with nvidia monitor.

nVidia nTune Download - Softpedia

CPU monitoring i use as mentioned above for the most part.
__________________

jfenwick is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An Extensive Guide: Maximizing Performance, Minimizing Budget Sora New Systems | Building and Buying 42 08-23-2008 06:35 PM
Modding My Case tedmp0816 Overclocking and Modding 6 06-29-2008 01:39 PM
New mod Case welsh Overclocking and Modding 6 06-12-2008 05:11 PM
120mm Fans - Recommendations? smashedpumpkins New Systems | Building and Buying 10 12-28-2007 10:40 AM
Need suggestions for case fans krazyq System Upgrades 8 09-27-2007 11:35 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.