Fan Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3ntury

Solid State Member
If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it :)

Can anyone recommend a few quality fan controllers? I've seen some people use hardware versions and some with software to control their setups, which is best in your opinion?

Thank you all :D

I would like to see fan controllers that are software-controlled like the ones on the motherboard, but I don't know of any commercially available ones. The knobs are nice but with software you can dynamically adjust with temperatures and read RPMs. I did make a fan controller for my server (just a single fan one) but the point of that was RGB color changing LEDs, it was software controlled though.

Well the case comes with x2 200mm Megaflow fans, x1 120mm rear fan, and I'm wanting to add x2 CM R4's (120mm) for push/pull on a Megahalem. I might add more down the road so I'm thinking perhaps a software will actually give me more leniency/options? I've seen some forums mention Lamptron FC5, Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme, and the Koolance TMS200 (software...sorta). Just wanted to check your experiences and opinions with the various controllers out there :)

If you are some one that is constantly changes computer parts around, then I do not recommend the fan controllers with Temp sensors. They are good, but darn fiddly to install and de-install.

I just have a simple one that control 5 fans via switches.
Lamptron FAN-ATIC 5-Port Military Switch Baybus Fan Controller. It allows me Off, Low & High.
It's nice to have some fan off when I am leaving the computer on over night. Some air flow when I am working on it. And high air flow for when i am gaming.

I am looking to buy a fan controller as well. I don't know if I would want a touch screen. I think I would rather have dials or knobs.

I would recommend using the motherboard headers if they work. I've found that usually only a few of the headers actually provide usable speed control and RPM feedback, some older or OEM motherboards don't have speed control at all. Take a 3-wire or 4-wire fan and plug it into each fan port, use SpeedFan to read all the RPMs and try setting the speeds to see what features are supported on each fan port.

If you run out of fan ports you're pretty much out of luck with software control unless you build your own controller from scratch, I haven't found any commercially available USB, serial, PCI, PCIe, or otherwise software controlled fan controllers so you'll have to settle for knobs, switches, or speed selector switches (the fans in the Antec 900 have 3 speeds selected by small switches on wires). If you have some electronics skills and want to build your own controller, Atmel's AVR microcontrollers cost like $5 and have 6 PWM channels that can be used to drive fans.

I have two fans,cpu fan and additional case fan, that are plugged into the mobo with a 3 pin connector. Is it possible to control the rpm using software? I have tried speedfan and either it is not possible or I can't get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom