External Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default External Hard Drive

I'm interested in getting an external hard drive that has sufficient space (around 1TB), not too expensive (around $100), and a relatively fast transfer rate. I know, I don't ask for much lol. I have looked at these two externals and am wondering if anyone knows of any that are better.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN - External Hard Drives

Newegg.com - iomega eGo Desktop 34268 Hard Drive, USB 2.0, 1TB, Midnight Blue - External Hard Drives

Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: External Hard Drive

Between the two I would just get the cheaper one (the iomega). However, I would recommend you buy a HDD and enclosure separately because you will be sure that the enclosure opens and accepts standard drives, you will be able to RMA them separately if needed, you can choose your own HDD etc

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Is there a difference between a buying a internal HDD and putting it inside a enclosure and just buying a external HDD? To me it seems like heat would become an issue with the first option.

Right now I have a internal HDD inside an enclosure running an error test and it gets pretty warm to the touch.
Noctua NH-D14
ATI Radeon HD5870
Corsair 6gb DDR3 1600
Corsair 850HX PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD
WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500gb
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I know someone who pressed yes...
His home and family Combusted Spontaneously...
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

my two cents, not sure if i am 100% correct.
the two you have selected do not list the harddrive specs. most people just use them for backup, so the manufactures use lower budget harddrives. 1TB harddrives usually have a 32mb cache and 7200 RPM.
i myself buy a harddrive and an enclosure for my external. you can find enclosures with fans . as far as a backup program, i usually just do it manually anyways. this way i dispose of alot of files at the same time.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Base on my personal experience, internal enclosure has a tendency to get hotter than external enclosure. If all you're asking for is a single bay then you won't need a fan if the enclosure is made of metal. The fan only pushes the air back and forth, which doesn't help a lot. However the down side is that it regenerates some noise. I suggest getting this Icy Dock model Newegg.com - ICY DOCK MB664US-1S Aluminum body w/ partial plastic 3.5" USB 2.0 & eSATA Screw-less External Enclosure - External Enclosures and buying a separate hard drive that is tailored to your needs. It is screw-less and easy to use so you don't need an extensive computer knowledge.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
Between the two I would just get the cheaper one (the iomega). However, I would recommend you buy a HDD and enclosure separately because you will be sure that the enclosure opens and accepts standard drives, you will be able to RMA them separately if needed, you can choose your own HDD etc
+1 to this suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory View Post
Is there a difference between a buying a internal HDD and putting it inside a enclosure and just buying a external HDD? To me it seems like heat would become an issue with the first option.

Right now I have a internal HDD inside an enclosure running an error test and it gets pretty warm to the touch.
Usually a drive already contained in an enclosure will not let you open the enclosure or you void the warranty. With a separate enclosure you get separate parts that can be RMA'd independently...as Kmote mentioned.

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Closed Thread