Extensive PC damage? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch
Default Re: Extensive PC damage?

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
Sorry to bother, but I need help,

This morning saw the death of my motherboard and CPU as it looks, I'm not sure if any additional parts were damaged. It happened when I was removing some cold cathode lights. When I turned the PC back on, it acted normal except i got no display from the graphics card. I turned it off, and that was the last time it turned on. Instead, the fans just wiggled a bit when I pressed the power switch. So I reseated the HSF on the CPU, and now I don't get any response at all when I press the power button on my PC.

I have 2 questions, first, how extensive do you think the damage to my parts is? I've stripped everything down to barebones to troubleshoot, and didn't get anywhere. Do you think this is just a mobo/CPU problem, or could it have taken other parts such as my graphics card and RAM with it? Please give me your opinions on this so I know what I can prepare to order.
The exact same thing happend with my old Gigabyte motherboard. pretty much, your mobo just decided to give you the finger. When my gigabyte motherboard told me to shove it, it wouldn't do ANYTHING when i pressed the power button. no lights, movement, noise, anything. Guess i'm just too late to tell you to RMA your mobo or something.

BTW, you'll go ecstatic with your new DFI one. I went through the roof with my LanParty- Best $130 i've ever spent. Rock solid, Sweet OC'ing, and a BIOS that could even beat out Chuck Norris!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Nice choice on the Opteron. I'm wanting one for myself but can't afford to do the upgrade right now.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

By the way, welcome back to TF beed.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Powerslave

I told all you of you he'd come back, and I was right. Like I said, people who make posts about their leaving always come back.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

Quote:
I told all you of you he'd come back, and I was right. Like I said, people who make posts about their leaving always come back.
Good Call.

Closed Thread