EVGA Nvidia i790 Ultra SLI & Xeon Core 2 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero4549

Solid State Member
Im planning to make a new gaming rig for about $2000 using some of the "extra" high end parts from my current system (9800gx2 for example, as i have an extra ati x1950 i can put it to replace it)

Anyway im wondering if the EVGA Nvidia i790 Ultra SLI motherboard supports intel Xeon processors. I have the option of buying either a standard core 2 quad or an xeon version both with 2.5ghz and 45nm yorkfield cores for the same price.

I understand the Xeon chips are of a higher quality and would prefer one over the standard version if possible, however Nvidia simply states "Full Support for yorkfield cores" and EVGA states "Supports 65 and 45nm pentium, core, and core 2"

Its been a long time since ive considered an Xeon, last time i did they were only compatible with select high end mobos and were specifically listed as being so, however I understand todays xeon chips are nearly identical to the standard versions and simply tested for higher quality.

Bottom line: Will a xeon core 2 quad work in an evga i790 ultra or will i have to buy a non-xeon version?

Why do u wanna go with a Xeon? They are more expensive.

I think u need to go with a skulltrail or a server mobo for the Xeon

prototype- i currently have the option for either xeon or normal version of the same chip and clock speed for the SAME price, hence me wanting the xeon if possible.

vernong1992- based on that i assume im clear to buy the xeon with my i790? just want a confirmation because I may not be able to return the xeon core 2 quad chip for the same reasons i am able to buy it for prices identical to standard core 2 quads.

oh.. and on a side note, can anyone confirm that at the same price, core, and clock speed, the xeon is the better chip? (or perhaps a pro/con list with price removed since it does not apply in this case)

Thanks a ton

theres numerous benches between xeons and their desktop counterpart. They really are pretty much the same when it comes to overclocking. They aren't going to be too far off

they are supposedly binned higher and (therefore could) typically overclock better on less voltage.
if that is the case they would probably handle heat a little better as well.

They are nowadays compatible with most current 775 boards, and the 790 I'm sure will handle it nicely.

Theoretically speaking they can achieve higher clocks on lower voltages with reduced heat, but I feel the differences are so minuscule that it's not worth the risk of incompatibility. If you're really jonesing for it though, just buy it. The worst that could happen is it not be compatible so you could just sell it on eBay.

I myself would just go for the desktop counterpart as 45nm can get pretty **** high without much effort in comparison to my 65nm.

Xeon are suppose to have a longer life span since they are mainly used for servers 24/7. The problem is that they are alittle more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom