Evga 8800gts 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB

Newegg says this card is clocked at 670, but some reviews say that it is clocked at 650.

Can anybody here that owns one confirm what it is clocked at?

I know there is an XFX factory clocked at 678

I know there is the BFG factory clocked at 675

Just wondering what the factory clock is on the EVGA???

And yes, I know I can overclock on my own...I just wanna know what the factory clock is....thanks for any help.

Its clocked at 670. I have had mine clocked as high as 775 though. I havent bothered trying to find its max clock.

Well, I believe one version does...it looks like there are 2 or 3 different ones on newegg...the specs look all the same to me....so i think the most expensive one comes with Crysis, and the cheaper one does not.

you can tell from the serial number. I believe the standalone card ends with AR, quake wars ends with A1 and Crysis with A3.

Don't quote me on that, research it yourself, but those are certainly the three suffixes and they all refer to the different bundled software. I can't definitely remember which is which, however

you can tell from the serial number. I believe the standalone card ends with AR, quake wars ends with A1 and Crysis with A3.

Don't quote me on that, research it yourself, but those are certainly the three suffixes and they all refer to the different bundled software. I can't definitely remember which is which, however

Thanks for that info....I was wondering the differences in the 3....and the specs all looked the same.

If I decide to go this route I have limited it down to 3.

The Evga for $299 with the rebate
BFG $279 with rebate
XFX $299 with rebate

I love the idea of Evga's stepup, but the BFG looks great and has a lifetime warranty, that from what i hear is hassel free.
XFX card looks wicked also, and has a lifetime warranty, but I dont know anyone that has used it, so I dont know how good the warranty really is.

I'm tempted to hugely flame EVGA here, but it can't be denied that they are really great for US customers. If you live in the EU, however, forget about it completely. EU customers get treated like dirt by EVGA.

Some things that aren't made clear about step up when people buy EVGA cards:

-Don't forget that there is often a long wait for stepping up. An example for this is EU customers who wanted to step up to the GT when it came out, haven't moved more that 3 places in the queue since then. Hence people will be stepping up to very obsolete cards.

-The 'cost' of the card that you step up to will be more than you can find retail. In the US, you might pay, maybe $20 more. In EU, maybe $80 more.

-There have been numerous problems with Step up customers receiving old (RMA) cards as replacements. I reckon EVGA try and sneakily slip their excess RMA cards in there, but thats just my (admittedly very stunted) view. This is a worryingly regular occurance.

-When you successfully step up in the US, with wonderful customer service, low cost and quick turnaround, you make us EUers miserable!

Not that I'm bitter, you understand! :p

All the same, some considerations that you wouldn't at first consider, but do blunt the advantage of the experience somewhat.

My stepup was hassle free. As was the 1 rma i have had to do so far. If you plan to sell the card in the future, xfx is good because you can transfer the warranty (helps in selling it). But evga warranties the card against -anything- except for physical damage. So if you burn it up overclocking it, they cover it. They also dont void the warranty for changing out the cooler.

My stepup was hassle free. As was the 1 rma i have had to do so far. If you plan to sell the card in the future, xfx is good because you can transfer the warranty (helps in selling it). But evga warranties the card against -anything- except for physical damage. So if you burn it up overclocking it, they cover it. They also dont void the warranty for changing out the cooler.

Really, they don't void the warranty? What about putting on your own thermal paste, cuz I thought I heard somewhere that voids the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom