eVGA 6800GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

synth7

In Runtime
I just ordered the eVGA 6800GS from NewEgg, expecting it sometime next week. I am upgrading from a 9800 Pro, hopefully I see a good boost in game performance.

GPU review [link] compares the card I'm getting and my current card, and the 6800GS wins in every way except Core clock, something a small overclock should rectify. It has 12 pipelines and I've heard it's relatively easy to unlock the locked 4 to get it up to 6800 Ultra levels. Here's what my friend said...

(11:32:28 PM) Blue: because what nvidia does is
(11:32:41 PM) Blue: sometimes when they are making the 6800 Ultras
(11:32:47 PM) Blue: it will be defective
(11:32:57 PM) Blue: so they disable the defective pipelines and sell it as a GS
(11:33:06 PM) Blue: (only sometimes)

Naturally, I'm going for the pipeline and vertex unlock, what's the general success rate without artifacting on this? Does nVidia have drivers that fully support this card now? Someone above said they had to use beta drivers.

If it is AGP you will have a chance, a bit hit or miss though. If you get artifacts put it back down to 12.

That was more for the 6800 Vanilla, the poorer end of croes where put as 12 pipelines.

What version are you getting, AGP or PCI-e?

The AGP versions are basically overclocked old 6800 vanillas, same core. So on those you have the chance to unlock the extra 4 pipes. Realistically, the chances of those extra pipes working correctly are not that great, but definitely worth trying. On the flip side, since these cards are on the old cores, they don't OC as well as the PCI-e versions.

Now on the PCI-e versions, there are no extra pipes to unlock, but like said above, they are overclocking like mad, so even with 4 less pipes, I know I have seen them beating my 6800GT at 435/1180.

I got the AGP version since that's what I have on my mobo.

Hopefully it unlocks, eh? I'll report back.

Since my current card is an ATI, is this how I should go about changing cards...

1. Uninstall all ATI software with ATI Uninstaller utility
2. Turn off PC and open box and change cards
3. Boot up in default drivers mode, install drivers

Its really unlucky to get an AGP 6800GS that cant unlock the 4 extra pipes and vertex pipe
The vertex pipe seems to always unlock with no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom