Everything Computers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Everything Computers

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about computers but all I have found so far on google is posts more then 2 years old and a lot of information is outdated.

I was wondering, what are the BEST sites to go to if you want to start learning about computers. Like the newest hardware/software coming out, information and benchmarks on all hardware pieces, information about what each piece of hardware actually does, what the most reliable and top brands are, etc.

There is a very nice website for everything about video games called Joystiq (News related). I was hoping there might be something similar on the computer side of things.

I'm pumped to start learning about computers but I just don't know where to start.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Everything Computers

join forums, im a member of 3 forums,

this one and 2 others, ( not sure if saying which ones will get me in trubble, but they both have the word " overclock " in the web address, google hint )

subscibe to a couple people on youtube, i like 3dgamerman, linus tech tips and NCIX tech tips, and watch all their videos.

spend many hours on newegg

and ask questions

Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

lol, you can say which ones

The BEST way to learn about computers is to get ahold of a few with your own hands and take them apart, put them back together, install varying OS's on them, back them up, delete them, recover the data, etc.
Hands on is what I'm getting at. Reading how-tos and manuals will only get you so far.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

A good way is to just start trolling around here. Also, if you know anybody that works at a large hospital, have them talk to the tech folks about getting a cheap old computer (They replace them frequently in hospitals). I have gotten several for free or for like $50, one of which is now my server lol.

<--------- If I helped you to your satisfaction, Rep me! (Its the green check)
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

as stated, just get ahold of one or more, try breaking them *not physically, but through use* and then repair them. I've broken Windows more times than I can count lol.... if security, buddy up with a friend on a network, and have hack/security wars! that was one thing that made A-school for me go by rapidly and enjoyably . read into various topics, this forum covers lots of them, just kinda depends on what exactly you are looking for. post questions! this is a great place to learn!
EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Closed Thread