The eternal Mac versa PC question!

My 2c:

Macs are way pricier from what I've seen. Go check a pre-built mac against the same hardware on a pre-built pc, you'll see what I'm saying.

As to the virus/anti-virus stuff, its mainly a matter of being smart. The majority of viruses I've dealt with are more "blanket" based, meaning they aren't targeted you get them from going to the wrong websites or clicking on banners/ads. So unless someone is trying to directly hack you just avoid the seedier areas of the net.
For doing virus checks, time management is your friend. Set it up to only do full scans when you're not going to be around (class/work/shopping/etc...). I love MSE because I never know its running in the background, takes up less resources than the LCD software for my keyboard.
Just paying for the name on a Mac.

To add on to the virus thing, 90% of virus's you get NOT from websites (which is usually just spyware or malware) are .exe format. Not useable on a Mac so therefor can't attack it.

Is it true that Apple packs their computers with better hardware than most computers? Or is that just an excuse people make to win in a Mac argument all the while hoping to avoid the burden of proof?

All current computers use the same hardware, it's the software that is different.

Apple charges a premium for their OS, name brand, and cases; but internally they are no different from any PC, or IBM compatible as we used to call them.

They have the same things currently available for PCs. In terms of tech, 3rd gen i7 is the latest and greatest but look around on these forums. A lot of people have 3570k and 3770k chips. So no better and no worse really.

All current computers use the same hardware, it's the software that is different.

Apple charges a premium for their OS, name brand, and cases; but internally they are no different from any PC, or IBM compatible as we used to call them.

And to think those guys with the flip flops, tight jeans, striped shirts, fake glasses, and emoish hair who hang around Starbucks talking about the newest pop idol, fall for this gimmick.

That is why they are called hipsters :)

I wonder what people are going to call me with a MBA at Starbucks wearing my Fallout New Vegas shirt, ripped jeans, DC high tops, and rocking a fully customized GS2 hehe.

Hail folks, and first thanks a lot for the feedback!
Now I'll resume all the info I got from everywhere I posted the thread.
1. Macs are well made machines for people who don't want to (or can't) mess with computer skills.
2. Concerning power, Mac and Windows machines don't really differ when care is taken for it.
3. Mac machines however are reported to be stable by excellence for their architectural concept.
4. Never the less, there's quite lesser software for Macs that one can find around.
5. Same level pre-built Mac and Windows machines have a noticeable price difference.
6. Macs are not really strong for games (but then how are they strong for video production?).
7. Mac products have nice design (but... one should not buy important stuff only with the eyes!)
8. Mac keyboards are anything but ergonomic.
9. Apple has made it to create a "psychosis" in the sense that once you buy a Mac you are
driven by "attraction" and the "sweet addiction" to pay and buy more options and gadgets,
and... iProducts... (I've heard people say "I am addicted to my Mac products", that seems
not to be the case in Windowsland.)

A conclusion seems to be that one should test both types of machines while considering:
- Recognizable stability with Mac machines against often bugging/freezing Windows ones;
- Need of periodical re-formatting/re-installing as a must for Windows machines, not for Macs;
- No quite need for Anti-virus or 'Internet security suites' for Macs against an "obligation" to
have them on Windows (and the Windows slowness caused by them).
- Polyvalence of Windows against a "totalitarian" narrow software field for Mac;

Please tell me if I'm missing or mistaking any important points.

Thanks again.
BD

3 and conclusion: You can say Macs are slightly more stable due to their Unix base but Windows can be just as stable. I haven't had a crash since March with the same format. It's all in what the user does with the computer no matter the brand or OS. AV is only needed for the people who have no internet common sense. I don't use an AV at all on my Windows PC.

6 It isn't a case of strong. They lack the DirectX API found in Windows which is used to power game engines in 90% of games out there today. The only games found on a Mac are OpenGL based. Video/audio production is all RAM and CPU based. Macs are known to come with a lower end GPU due to the fact that a powerful GPU is only needed for games.

7 Mac screens and towers are hard on my eyes, but that is just my opinion. I do fancy their laptops though.

Back
Top Bottom