Env. Tech help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Env. Tech help

Hello all,

Being a new member here I thought I'd give a little introduction before I pose my question. I'm a biologist working on animal surveys across Wyoming and South Dakota. My passion lies with the outdoors, and I do not consider myself a tech savvy person. My studies require tending track plots of sand and using cage traps to determine animal populations/distribution in an area.

My problem is having enough time to visit enough sites in a day. My thoughts drifted towards a IR/motion sensor of some sort to record when the sand trap was crossed or if the cage trap made a catch. If there was some way to relay that information, either to a phone or laptop, tens of miles if not a hundred or more miles away, it would greatly increase efficiency of my studies.

I researched active RFID tags made by Lotera, which will relay a location to a receiver module up to 1.5 miles away. My studies are typically in scrub land with little overhead canopy cover. Is it possible to incorporate a motion sensor/IR sensor to an RFID tag, which will send a signal once the area shows movement? Or to attach an RFID reader to a drone which could then fly over the target areas, wherein the data from each site/trap would be relayed?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm all ears!

SDres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Env. Tech help

Hi Scott-

I work for a non-profit organization that will be posting wildlife technology articles on a sub-section of the website: mongabay.com. I believe this website will help you figure out technologies and brands that will help you in your research (which sounds really cool, by the way!).

The technology sub-section of mongabay.com should be launching by the end of next week, so please check it out!

Good luck!
ktaylor92 is offline   Reply With Quote

environmental, rfid