Entry level gaming $700~

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingasis

In Runtime
Planning to build an entry level gaming PC for about $700. So far I have this...

Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

The only bottleneck that I can think of that would occur is the power supply, since the graphics card has a recommended 450 >.<

Anything that I can change to make the build cheaper? Overall it's about 672 without shipping and 740 with shipping.

I have a optical drive already, so I don't need to purchase one as well with all the other peripherals.

If I were you I wouldn't be running a 5770 and a quad core on a 430w power supply.
That 430 would most likely handle the rig @ full load without any issues. However, it's better to be safe and get a 500 or 600w if you can find one. It would be a shame to play everything fine, and then one day run into an intense part of a game, and pop that PSU. It could take the motherboard and graphics card with it if it dies.

That being said, Antec is serious quality when it comes to almost anything. That 430w continuous power PSU is equivilent to 600w cheapies.

It would probably work, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Just FYI that 5770 is going to draw around 250w @ load, and the processor is clearly 125w @ load @ stock voltages. If you were overclocking the processor that 125w is going to look more like 140 or 150w depending on how far you go with it.

So that's already 400w~. If you take into account the hard drive, optical drive, and fans, you're just barely within limit with that 430w @ full load.

Thanks for the calculations, I was definitely thinking the same thing... Other than the PSU should I replace anything else to reduce the cost?

Not planning to do any overclocking, if I do it wouldn't be anything serious. But that still doesn't take away the fact that gaming would end up killing the PSU with everything else attached... I love the case since it has air blowing from the front, and I only chose the PSU because it was a combo deal and trying to spend as little as I can for an entry level gaming pc

[EDIT]

Okay, changed the PSU to this combo with the case instead
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified ...
Same pc case included
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.458428

$750 total

the 5770 has a TDP of 108 Watts according to ATI

OP's build will consume less than 300 watts at load

nothing against larger power supplies, but just saying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom