Elusive Hard Drive and Boot Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to The Napster Send a message via MSN to The Napster
Default Elusive Hard Drive and Boot Problems

I just upgraded my PC from amd x2 4400, 3g ddr 400 to amd phenom 2 965, 4g ddr3 1600. In my old setup I moved to windows 7, but I ALWAYS had to have the startup disc in the tray for the system to startup. I thought this would go away but it didnt I still have to have the disc in the try in order to boot into windows. How do I change the boot to go to the hard discs? I have 5 hard discs two in RAID 0 array. My old motherboard only had 4 slots so i had to keep one unhooked, my new board has 4 regular slots with 3 extra esata slots. Now I cannot move any hard drive cables around without messing up the boot and my backup drive with all the stuff i need on it happens to be an esata port as it was the last one. Drives 1-4 are in the RAID part of the motherboard (asus m4a79xtd) and show up during post. The drive on the esata port will show in post quickly and in a seperate area than the first four, but does NOT show up under windows. It will however show up in the windows install disc as the only drive. (until i load the raid drivers). How can I either get this drive to show up with the rest in windows, or get my drives where i can switch them around and it still boot from the raid? It seems like a big mess to me i am confused.

DFI infinity RS 482
3Gig Corsair PC 3200
AMD X2 4400+ 2.4ghz
250Gig Samsung SATA 3.0 7200rpm
250Gig Hatachi SATA 3.0 7200 rpm
60Gig Maxtor ATA 5400 rpm
2x160Gig WD SATA 7200 rpm RAID-0
ATI X850XT 256mb
Antec TruePower 430
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Elusive Hard Drive and Boot Problems

So you changed motherboards and this still happens?

Should be able to access the CMOS setup by pressing delete or F1 soon as the computer is turned on.

Refer to manual or companies website if you can't find it.

It could also be a hard drive problem if your reusing old ones.
Closed Thread