on the edge~

Status
Not open for further replies.

angevin

Solid State Member
Hi all! Yes, newbie here, Good News:: I can read! thanks for the Stickies!

Bad news: I cannot find any truly helpful info regarding this dilemma:

I am about to either upgrade my present Q6600 or build a new unit. Either way, I'd like to go SSD. I have my Main Drive 'C' as cleaned up as I can figure out how to do, yet I still have about 206GB used territory. I have already told programs such as Lightroom2 and Adobe production prem, etc to go to one of my other drives with the cache stuff.

If I cannot get this data under control, it seems useless to go SSD.

My application: I am a photographer and a videographer, I have large files and plenty of internal and external storage capability of the 7200 variety: >3 TB
I run these programs often:
After Effects
Lightroom2
Premiere pro
Soundbooth

I tend to generate files about 50-100GB per render of video and 5-10MB per photo~

So questions:

1. How is the best way to go about minimizing my main drive's space?
_1a. Or how is the best way to go about using SSD (s)?

2. SSD's: is Running a RAID 0 a bad idea? I understand it inherently has no Backup, or should I consider a RAID 5?

Any links to aid me are appreciated, as is commentary. the AndtechSSD article was very decently written and aided me greatly....My ignorance leading me here to ask about this data thing. So, please fire away !

Thanks in advance!

1. don't quite understand your question.

1a. best way of using an ssd is probably to use it as your OS drive, and/ or your programs drive w/ separate hdds for data storage.

2. you shouldn't run ssd's in a raid 0 array because they will not operate with TRIM on and you want to have TRIM enabled when running an ssd.

1. don't quite understand your question.

1a. best way of using an ssd is probably to use it as your OS drive, and/ or your programs drive w/ separate hdds for data storage.

2. you shouldn't run ssd's in a raid 0 array because they will not operate with TRIM on and you want to have TRIM enabled when running an ssd.

I'm not totally surprised that my question is hard to understand......and that's simply due to my lack of knowledge on the subject.

basically I cannot figure out how I am going to be able to run an SSD (or two) if my main drive I presently have running is so full of(?) Chaff or programs or what not.

So what you're saying is, that it is possible to run only the OS more or less from one drive and what, install the apps in the other?

Sounds like I need to do a lot more reading

Thanks for taking the time!

So what you're saying is, that it is possible to run only the OS more or less from one drive and what, install the apps in the other?

no. you could run ssd's as your primary and storage drives if you wanted to, it would just cost alot of money to do that.

right now, they are still a bit expensive, as in price/gb compared to hdds, that's why most people who consider an ssd, consider using it as only an OS and/or a programs drive.

no. you could run ssd's as your primary and storage drives if you wanted to, it would just cost alot of money to do that.

right now, they are still a bit expensive, as in price/gb compared to hdds, that's why most people who consider an ssd, consider using it as only an OS and/or a programs drive.

Yeah, I see the prices, and have them in my Newegg saved WL...but before I purchase, I just want to know what I am getting, how to best use it and so forth.

Being the fella I am, I am definitely price conscious, but quality conscious as well. I think my biggest concern here is not to buy the SSD's and then load them down with chaff.

Also it would appear I need to really think through the rendering aspect when rendering photos and videos, and only render WHAT and Where I need to, so as not to put garbage on an SSD that I will turn around and want to delete or move to regular storage.

Lots of fine info here, thanks much0~

tom

Went ahead with the SSD and a Quadro FX 3800 card.

WIndows exp. went from 5.6 to 6.9 with the quadro.
With an HD5830 ati card: 7.1

I appreciated the help! using about 102Gb of the 160 presently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom