ECS 915PL-A2 Motherboard Review and a LGA 775 Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeDelta16

Baseband Member
What i really want is if anyone could review the following motherboard:
ECS 915PL-A2 (3.1B)
and this graphics card:
ATI Radeon X1600Pro 512 MB 12 pixel pipeline 500Mhz core clock, and 750Mhz .

I bought 2x512 Gigaram modules for the motherboard.

The reason i bought the above motherboard is because i did this:

OK, here is the deal. First off i feel like a Dumn A$$ because even though i did everything right, read everything researched untill my eyes jumped out and yelled obsinities. But when i got my Intel I915 LGA 775 Mother board, and my new Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.06 ghz, 1MB L2, I think while testing the heatsink (because someone said that sometimes there will be a fitting problem wth the capacitors) i must have bent a pin or 2..

Therefor when i went to install the CPU (which i did carefully) and did like 8 times before proceeding, i bent ALL the pins over... So sad...

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. This is better then the guy who hammered his FX-55 into his Socket A mobo.

Well i don't know that's pretty darn sad... But yea it's bad..

ha, the worst part is, that when I put it down i was like Hey what's up with this? And kept looking at it. Then i was like hmm must be the way it works, so i slowly put it down like a 1/4 of the way and was like no can't be.

Then i took it off, and noticed that the pins were bending (but since it was a uniform bend it was hard to tell) but having gone that far and not knowing if that was SUPOSED to happen... Young archemedies set forth.

Well anyway, i have a question. The processor almost looks like the pins can go into it? maybe i'm still confused, someone had better let me in on the secret before i fry another board.

-cD
EDIT:
Wait no i ment CAN'T not can, i know they are suposed to, or at least i thought,.

I bent a buttload pins on a 478 before and I just used an exacto knife to bend them back into position. I used the unbent pins as a guide, and slide the knife inbetween the pins and slowly twist the knife to bend the pins back. You just need to be VERY careful doing this. Then look at the pins from the side to see if they're straight enough to fit in the board.

But it's different with LGA775, the pins are on the motherboard. and they're OH SO soft and easy to bend. therfor the bottom of the processor is basically flat. hard to judge but i did try using exacto knife blades to fit them carefully into the pins on the board and bend them up by row. But I don't think it wold work.

-cd

OK wow, how come no LGA 775 users came through for me??
I didn;t bend ANY pins! They are suposed to be that way, it's just a REALLY tight fit.

May i refer you to img A;

howinstalllga77512h.jpg

However now my motherboard IS ruined since i tried to bend them back up... C"MON no one could tell me that. Not Geeks from the Tech-Spot, not the Service dept. Not Newegg Customer Assistance...

I still feel like an idiot.

-cD

Looks like I read this post too late. I could have told you that the pins are all supposed to be slanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom