Easiest way to Copy HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. I just purchased a custom built computer that I will be building on Wednesday.. I have a 500gb Hard Drive that Im going to just take out of this old computer and put it in the new computer.. I know that when you switch HD's to different computers, the mobo doesn't recognize them and wont boot... The HD I am using is a Seagate eSata.. Can someone please let me know the easiest way to take the HD and then get it in the other computer without reinstalling everything?

Thanks!

Unfortunately you just can't, the OS is installed for the old computer's motherboard. I mean, you could plug the HDD into the new computer, but it will refuse to boot. You'll have to reinstall your OS on the hard drive, or just get a new hard drive for the new computer.

Unfortunately you just can't, the OS is installed for the old computer's motherboard. I mean, you could plug the HDD into the new computer, but it will refuse to boot. You'll have to reinstall your OS on the hard drive, or just get a new hard drive for the new computer.

On occasion the os will work, i have personally experienced it. But you should still not use it, the os is a little unstable, and is prone to crashing, and BSODing.

Do you have norton Partition magic? Usually I keep all of my executable files and installers on one partition, if they are system config files for the programs you use you can move them to a partition and move the hard drive and install the new OS.

The programs won't all be plug and play but that is one way. There are mirroring software out there, but the hard drives and the hardware you use has to be identical to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom