E8500 vs Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as said before, the gaming future proof q66 would seem to be the better choice for a gaming rig, correct? How would the q66 65nm match up to the q9's 45nm structure? Would there be a performance difference worth the money there?

no.. cuz i honestly don't think you'll have any noticeable game performance differences for the next coulple years between duals and quads... so from quad to quad.. definitely no difference

heck in cryiss i hardly even saw a difference between my e2180 and my q6700... thats definitely telling you something ;)

Basically it comes down to price vs performance. Right now you can get a q6600 for 200 bucks, overclock it to 3.0 minimum and that will run everything you could possibly need to run. Even at stock clocks the chip is great. And if you are like me with 2 monitors, and usually have ventrilo open, your virus scanner going in the background, 2-3 internet browsers going, chat programs, AND playing a game, the extra cores make a huge difference.

from memory wen i had my quad, through the activity in task manager, the first core took mostly all of the background processors.

but i still agree it does come down the price perf. and q6600 is the best atm in that respect. just like nos said it might be a lil slower than a dual clocked higher, but you wont notice much difference at those speeds, and hopefully games will start using all four cores more effectivley.

Well, as said before, the gaming future proof q66 would seem to be the better choice for a gaming rig, correct? How would the q66 65nm match up to the q9's 45nm structure? Would there be a performance difference worth the money there?

they are about 5-10% better i think (clock for clock) but the cheapest cuming in at about 380 (9450) its not worth since neither the 9450 or 9550 are as good as the q6600 for overclocking.

q3 2008. That could be any time. I'm still debating on picking up a 9550 when the prices drop, but havent decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom