E8400 vs Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
ok since i am on the brink of buying my gaming rig( i know this is taking ages) i really want to know if I've made the wrong choice. I was going with the Q6600, one because quads are well..quads, and also the game Supreme Commander is said to support quad cores and it's one of the main games I'm upgrading for.

However I've heard so many people saying that the E8400 dual core will play games better then the Q6600.

What should i do? I'm hoping this new system can last two years before i need to upgrade everything, i only play RTS games not stuff like Crysis.:D

Re: E8400vsQ6600

Get the quad if you plan on keeping the cpu for more than a couple months.

Unless your rendering or encoding your quad core will be essentially wasted. I vote E8400. Theirs not going to be some big explosion in a couple months that will make everything all the sudden multi thread ready.

I would go for the E8400. An E8400 at 4ghz will outperform a 3.6ghz quad in quite a few things for some time to come.

thing is wont the Q6600 last longer in the long run, when games start using 4 cores? I don't want to upgrade the mobo and cpu for two years really, i know to you guys that's probably a long time...:eek:. I kinda thought quad would help it survive the two years still giving playable FPS.

mmmmm well it doesnt really make sense to get a quad now, unless its your hobby to have an awesome computer.

Get a motherboard that will support quads, and get the dual core.

Because by the time you NEED quad cores the super duper awesome ones now will be affordable and out perform anything

No sense in using technology of today to play games of tommorow.

Or playing games of today will technology of tommorow

thing is wont the Q6600 last longer in the long run, when games start using 4 cores? I don't want to upgrade the mobo and cpu for two years really, i know to you guys that's probably a long time...:eek:. I kinda thought quad would help it survive the two years still giving playable FPS.

Even though some games are becoming multithreaded for over 2 cores...an E8400 clocked very high will still be as fast if not faster.

The only quad I would get is a R0 q9450/Q9550 or E0 Q9650...but those are ridiculously expensive.

u will notice alot of difference in rendering in vegas and photoshop and things like that with a quad. it really comes down to how much you will overclock, if your gonna overclock as fast as you can get stable (best value for money) then get a q6600 becuase that will handle anything at 3.6ghz/3.4ghz for a while to come. but if your not then the e8500 will easily outperform that quad being faster per clock and set a 3.16ghz already. (in games i mean). but i rec. q6600 and overclock it, itll serve you well.

mmmmm well it doesnt really make sense to get a quad now, unless its your hobby to have an awesome computer.

Get a motherboard that will support quads, and get the dual core.

Because by the time you NEED quad cores the super duper awesome ones now will be affordable and out perform anything

No sense in using technology of today to play games of tommorow.

Or playing games of today will technology of tommorow

aaaaahhhhhhhh, how refreshing to see my very thoughts echoed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom