e8400 vs e4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
Say Hypothetically I got an e4300 to 3.5ghz stable.
Now vs a very common e8400 at 4.0ghz stable, would I see much of an improvement vs the e8400 at 4ghz? because i hear after 3.0ghz in gaming, it is only a minute improvement.

Here is my current rig:
Amd X3600 @ 3.2ghz stable
TRUE120
8800gt
Raptor 74gb

I could play crysis on the highest settings with everything enabled at 1440x900 with approx 25fps.

Now if I bought the e4300 (i havean offer for 80$) and oced to 3.5ghz

Can I expect much of an improvement? vs my x3600+

And this improvement+same setup+an e8400 @4ghz, would there be a noticable difference?

Maybe im asking impossible questions, but since i am gaming computerless, im desperate to geta cpu. I'm torn between two options.,.

Wait for a 200$ e8400 (march31st) or get an e4300 for 80$.

What do you guys thtink?

You'd see a big increase over your X2 3600+, with which ever you choose. It depends on how much you want to spend. In my opinion, I don't think it's a huge difference between a 3.5GHz E4300 and a 4GHz E8400.

man you guys are awesome..so quick to respond..
haha, thanks for the input..
quick question..
If I have:
A P5E Asus (Similar to MAximus) with a 1333fsb, 4 gb ddr2 1200 ram, what exactly will be my biggest problem in overclocking? Is it just the chip itself?

And what exactly is the Motherboard fsb? I understand its the highest the motherboard will allow your cpu you to go, but how to do you calculate it?

There are a lot of P5Es, but all of them are Bearlakes, and they're great for overclocking. Specifically the P35 and X38 right now.

The FSB is like the main communication high way.

The bandwidth or maximum theoretical throughput of the front side bus is determined by the product of the width of its data path, its clock frequency (cycles per second) and the number of data transfers it performs per cycle or clock tick. For example, a 32-bit (4-byte) wide FSB operating at a frequency of 100 MHz that performs 4 transfers per tick has a bandwidth of 1600 megabytes per second (MB/s).

OH CRAP new problem...

Whats better the e4300 vs the e6300.. saying that they were both offered for the same price..

im talking about price vs performance vs ocability.. i understand they are virtually the same thing.. but you guys are smarter :)
\\
btw i have the x38 asus p5e

The E4300 is better for overclocking, because it has a higher multiplier (E4300 is 9x, and E6300 is 7x).

True, but I hear it is more common for an e6300 to reach 3.5 than anything else..
I mean.. besides the number, as far as i can see is there no real difference (besides the virtual thingy..that no one needs)
or am i wrong?

oh and to add that the e6300 is already lapped with a copper mirror finish.. hmmmmmmmmm

I don't hear alot of E6300s getting to 3.5GHz. If you can show me where you hear that from, that would be great. And you do have an X38 chipset, which is an awesome overclocker, so you might just get there.

I'm just saying that the E4300 would have a much easier time getting to 3.5GHz than the E6300, because of it's higher multiplier.

Ok LAST question...
This is concerning all processors..
I have 2gb ddr2 1200... i also have 4g of ddr2 gskill...

should I return my ddr2 1200? I mean.. do i really need them?
the 1200 vs 800 is there a performance gain?
and will it help in ocing the e8400/e4300?

checking oc reviews atm***

A performance set of 800 will do just fine for overclocking. I don't see a need for 1200, unless you're really into benchmarking. Not much of a performance increase in real world applications, such as gaming, between 800 and 1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom