E6600 vs E8400 vs Q6600 and OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
I currently have the E6600 overclocked nicely to 3.2GHz, and I've been quite happy with it, though now I'm a bit concerned that it may begin bottlenecking my gaming performance as I move to a newer GPU.

Processors I've been looking at to replace it are the E8400 and Q6600

The E8400 has a stock speed almost equal to my current overclock, and a larger cache, so assuming I can overclock it a bit, it will outperform my current CPU in frequency.

The Q6600 has the same stock speed as my current chip, and assuming it overcolocks just as well, would have the same OC frequency, but has 4 cores over 2.

How are the benefits of these two choices going to impact the performance of my PC in gaming and everyday use? Are either going to be an improvement enough to prevent bottlenecking or justify cost?

I've also had my eye on the Q9550 Yorkfield, but at twice the cost, I have my doubts that the performance increase over the Q6600 Kentsfield would be worth it... any opinions of how they compare?

Or should I just wait for High-K?

I currently have the E6600 overclocked nicely to 3.2GHz, and I've been quite happy with it, though now I'm a bit concerned that it may begin bottlenecking my gaming performance as I move to a newer GPU.

Processors I've been looking at to replace it are the E8400 and Q6600

The E8400 has a stock speed almost equal to my current overclock, and a larger cache, so assuming I can overclock it a bit, it will outperform my current CPU in frequency.

The Q6600 has the same stock speed as my current chip, and assuming it overcolocks just as well, would have the same OC frequency, but has 4 cores over 2.

How are the benefits of these two choices going to impact the performance of my PC in gaming and everyday use? Are either going to be an improvement enough to prevent bottlenecking or justify cost?

I've also had my eye on the Q9550 Yorkfield, but at twice the cost, I have my doubts that the performance increase over the Q6600 Kentsfield would be worth it... any opinions of how they compare?

Or should I just wait for High-K?

An E6600 OC'ed to 3.2GHz should be far from a bottleneck, unless your system is very high end.

An E6600 OC'ed to 3.2GHz should be far from a bottleneck, unless your system is very high end.

As soon as I replace my soundcard, my processor will be tied with my PSU as the cheapest component of my computer.

Currently:
Corsair 620HX PSU
E6600 @ 3.2
GeForce 8800GTS 320 @ 640MHz/900MHz core/mem
650i SLI mobo (needs a BIOS update to support 45nm architectures... not sure if it supports yorkfields at all, but should support E8400/Q6600 after update)
4x 250GB HDDs in RAID0 + 1.5TB HDD for backup
Audigy SE soundcard

planning on changing out the GPU for an HD 4870, and soundcard for an X-Fi Pro (should actually -reduce- some CPU useage)

If the Q6600 won't OC as high as the E6600, it's unlikely I'll want to go with that... though I hear the E8400 can OC even higher, seen a few gone to 4.8 on air. I'd be happy with 4.5....

most q6600 will oc farther by some people here sayign there nto as good as they used to be is like i can get 3.7ghz on air stable. where as the new ones will stop out at 3.4ghz, also your mobo isnt the best for ocing, if i where you i would pick up an e7200 and a cheap p45 mobo. alltho yes the e8400 will oc the farthest aswell as the e7200, aslong as you run a good cooler such as the core contact freezer, bth the e7200 and teh e8400 will reach speeds above 4.0

most q6600 will oc farther by some people here sayign there nto as good as they used to be is like i can get 3.7ghz on air stable. where as the new ones will stop out at 3.4ghz, also your mobo isnt the best for ocing, if i where you i would pick up an e7200 and a cheap p45 mobo. alltho yes the e8400 will oc the farthest aswell as the e7200, aslong as you run a good cooler such as the core contact freezer, bth the e7200 and teh e8400 will reach speeds above 4.0

my mobo is perfectly adequate for now... and I'm not planning on upgrading it too soon, at least until I find an affordable replacement with the feature set I want.

I have a Zalman 9700CU.... come to think of it, the copper's probably worth twice now what it was when I bought it.

EDIT: That said, this thing looks dead sexy, and could actually work with my setup.... it's just $200 more than I want to spend on a new mobo right now:
Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

i can tell you right now the 650i is gonna be a huge limiting factor in over clocking, you wont go far with it, the thing can barely push 400 fsb. even my 750i ftw is a huge improvement over the last gen 650i, ive run as high as 475 fsb on a quad. duel cores ive seen up to 600.

i can tell you right now the 650i is gonna be a huge limiting factor in over clocking, you wont go far with it, the thing can barely push 400 fsb. even my 750i ftw is a huge improvement over the last gen 650i, ive run as high as 475 fsb on a quad. duel cores ive seen up to 600.

650i also has troubles with 45nm processor's. Yes a BIOS update is needed to make it work, but my 650i board with a E8200 CPU caused nothing but trouble... my advice, not worth it.

The asus 2 maximus formula is great and can support sli I believe..... which will be the next bottleneck.... E8400 with that will kickass. The Q6600 is essentially 2xE6600 strapped together so double the heat for half the output (in simplest terms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom