DYI PC Combos from Newegg - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default DYI PC Combos from Newegg

I want to build my own computer since all-in-one PC's seem to be a bust. Newegg seems to be the go to place. Would buying DIY combos PC's shave costs or is it just an illusion? I was looking at this one:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

I couldn't tell what kind of graphics card it had, I was going to look it up separately to see what the customer reviews were. I want to be able to watch DVD's and play World of Warcraft. Does anyone know if there is a website that lets you built-and-price; I would like to be able to choose each part step-by-step similar to automobile websites.

techi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
ninja troll

Default Re: DYI PC Combos from Newegg

DIY's can be a good idea, but not always.

that combo did not have a gpu with it, so you would be using onboard graphics. it would play dvd's no problem, and might play WOW at the not greatest settings.

in this particular case, im ot so sure that the raidmax psu would be the highest quality. the processor, though ok, doesnt have the k at the end which means that you wouldnt be able to overclock it (basically a free upgrade).

i agree that you would want to be able to choose all of your individual parts. if you would like, let us know what your budget is and if you will be doing anything more demanding than WOW as a main function and we can help you pick out the best parts possible.

1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My budget is no more than 600 at the moment. I want to be able to expand in the future, right now I have barely any room for improvement besides more cooling fans with the refurbished Dell I have now. Eventually, I want to run multiple screens, stream HD media, and play demanding video games like Metro 2033.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
ninja troll

600 would be really tough, 700 or 800 could be doable, and even that would be pushing it if you need windows 7 too...
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm probably going to have to end up buying the pieces in stages for money reasons. Is the most important part the motherboard? It seems like a lot of devices plug into it so buying a super awesome motherboard would give you lots to expand on later right?

I have a Dell tower with 4GB RAM and a 1TB hard-drive; the motherboard has the graphic built into it and seem real limited since it only has a single PCI-E slot.

Are all computer parts interchangeable? Would I be able to buy a better motherboard and graphics card and replace it strait up?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

You can build a decent AMD rig for 600 really. For 800 you can build a 2500k and 560ti based rig. If you cheap out a bit and get an FX 4100 and a decent GPU like 560ti you would be set for upgrades really. Metro2033 is a completely GPU biased game. Needs lots of video card horse power.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank You. I looked up some of the components in your signature and I'm not sure what some are. What is the Gigabye Geforce 6600GT? Does that go along with the eVGA GTX465?

What is the difference between the 1GB DDR PC3200 and 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz, are they the same thing?

I think I might have just had and ah ha moment...Are those two different computer setups on each side?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Lol yes, as indicated by the OS and the | between each component the PC on the left side is my 98 rig.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote