DX10+Vista Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
Hi. I am going to upgrade to a DX10 compatable system very soon (8800GTS 320 or 640) and I am wondering about some things I've heard about DX10. Will a game in DX10 be much slower than the same game in DX9? Does DX10 even look that much better and is it worth it? Does Vista have a serious affect on game speed (Ive heard that it can reduce fps by up to 40%)? I will be thankful for any help you guys can give as it might affect wheter or not I get vista on my new system.

BTW I am also wondering when the new Nvidia 9000 series is coming out.

Hi. I am going to upgrade to a DX10 compatable system very soon (8800GTS 320 or 640) and I am wondering about some things I've heard about DX10. Will a game in DX10 be much slower than the same game in DX9? Does DX10 even look that much better and is it worth it? Does Vista have a serious affect on game speed (Ive heard that it can reduce fps by up to 40%)? I will be thankful for any help you guys can give as it might affect wheter or not I get vista on my new system.

BTW I am also wondering when the new Nvidia 9000 series is coming out.

Let me address that Vista may lower your performance a bit but it is no where near 40%...i wouldn't get it just yet not because of the lower performance but because of the bugs. Dx10 features have a bit of extra eyecandy to them but I don't think they look that much better really. Also I highly suggest a 2900PRO over the 8800GTS as they are better for the money...proven benchmarks that they are better and they have only just came out.

As for DX10 I find that an old 2003 game actually runs far better and sees far fewer crashes in Vista then seen with XP. DX9 can also be installed on Vista when certain games require that during installation. All Direct X is is a set of 3D rendering and support for special audio effects used by Windows.

What many complain is thinking things run slower in Vista may be far from correct there. A new feature called SuperFetch remembers the games and apps that you frequently use and puts them in a form of standby mode for faster loading. That frees more memory up for those if you have antivirus and other background services that would otherwise bring things to a crawl in XP.

This is basically the MS description found at Windows Vista: Features Explained: SuperFetch

Some additional footnotes on Vista are seen at Windows Vista Footnotes

9 series is rumored in november, but not for sure confirmed

im guesssing the fps lower is because vista is more of a system hog then xp.

As for vista, idc what anyoen says. I've been running vista ultimate 32bit for nearly two months and have seen 1 minor bug, and IE crashed twice. I love it. Game fps hasnt changed much from xp. Dropped maybe 5 frames. If you have 2gb ddr2 ram you probably wont notice any. I've got 1g pc3200. (though I can't run aero, no biggie). Watch a few World in Conflict stage demos on gamespot for dx10 effects. IMO its worth it and looks **** nice.

As for vista, idc what anyoen says. I've been running vista ultimate 32bit for nearly two months and have seen 1 minor bug, and IE crashed twice. I love it. Game fps hasnt changed much from xp. Dropped maybe 5 frames. If you have 2gb ddr2 ram you probably wont notice any. I've got 1g pc3200. (though I can't run aero, no biggie). Watch a few World in Conflict stage demos on gamespot for dx10 effects. IMO its worth it and looks **** nice.

I try to inch out every FPS i can out of my system and 5 FPS sounds like a hit I would be mad at....

can somebody please clarify what all IMPORTANT attributes that ultimate has to be worth the extra $100 over premium :/
thats good hardware $$$$$

can somebody please clarify what all IMPORTANT attributes that ultimate has to be worth the extra $100 over premium :/
thats good hardware $$$$$

here r the extras:

Windows DreamScene, an Extra that enables you to use looped, full-motion video as your desktop wallpaper instead of a static image

Windows Hold'em, a poker game for players of all skill levels

Language packs for Windows multi-language interface, where users can install and use multiple languages on a single PC. Great for multi-lingual households or if you are learning a new language.

Secure Online Key Backup, where Ultimate users can store their BitLocker recovery password and Encrypting File System certificate on Windows Marketplace's Digital Locker website for access to the key anytime, anyplace, and from any computer that has an Internet connection

BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool, an automated tool which removes the complexity of setting up your PC to use this exclusive data security feature.

here is what's included in Windows Vista Ultimate. It's like the premium n business had a baby called Ultimate:

Windows Vista: Compare Editions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom